Lightened flywheel on a diesel

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by scruffydubber, Sep 11, 2012.

1. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys.

Has anyone run a lightened flywheel on a diesel?
    Is it going to make much difference, as diesel rev slower anyway?

I need a solid G60 type flywheel for my PD130 engine. I already have a lightened and balanced G60 flywheel so it would be great to use that.
    But I don't want to add vibration to it idling.

Cheers

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Paul h Is using one but not on a pd. you may find it'll rattle a bit on idle.
    He said it does make a difference though :)

3. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go then. And see how it turns out

4. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Better than a Dual Mass Flywheel [:D]

i just got rid of the DMF on my T4 and fitted the SMF Conversion, it's abit noisey on idle but the clutch feels is much better. Didn't bother with the lightening as its a 5 cylinder its spinning ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Old DMF set up only lasted 20k miles :(

[​IMG]

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Got Hotgolf to do me one as well, yes it makes a rev so much quicker, I also get a bit of a rattle on idle as most people state going to SMFw does
    not sure if it's me but on motorway it could me but it feel as if it slows quicker on run down having the less rotating forces - but it could be in my head!

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Some interesting stuff about the 3rd generation common rail high pressure pumps and injectors where the way in which the engine runs require a DMF, will see if I can dig the info up, loads of stuff in the Bosch yellow jackets but I'm not typing it all out for anyone ;)

7. TrackCab16v Forum Member

got a 90 bhp alh tdi cordoba estate , remapped to 120 ish with a lightened hotgolf fly wheel and vr6 centre plate , absolute kick ass use it every day as a work horse , just as quick as my mrs pd 130 , .. the revs do drop off quick er when backing off throttle though , also fitted a hot golf 1.9d knife edged lightened and balance crank ,gas flowed gtd head and cam ,lightened flywheel and wangled on a early audi turbo and manifold to a type 25 van , messed about with the pump ,and it when like hell, pulling power was amazing. fit one on scruff it will work fine .

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

trackcab: good info, any power plots.?
    Jon

9. TrackCab16v Forum Member

sorry jon no power plots on the tdi , spent all dyno budget on my valver lol

however on my t25 has it dynoed on the standard turbo and it was about 80 brake , the audi modded turbo blew befor i had a chance dyno it . proberbly lucky to get 60 odd brake from the old engine so it was a gain and it felt lots more power full at the time ,

10. Dongskie New Member

Will I feel the lightened flywheel effect on a conventional diesel engine? Toyota 2C 2.0 displacement

How much weight can I take off the stock F/W?