Long life oil?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by speedy1, Jun 18, 2007.

1. speedy1 Forum Member

Since the days i started driving, i've been taught to change the oil quite frequently. Now have a TDI 130 which uses the "long life oil". Now i get it serviced when the light comes on, but that can be ages. Is this ok to follow the schedule/light, or should i be doing changes in between?

2. Seraph Banned

You can just as easily choose not to use longlife - its not a default, but i assume you notch up some miles?

Following the light is perfectly permittable

Service in between if you like, but it might be considered over zealous somewhat

3. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

If your not happy being on longlife you can change the schedule to time and distance. Any Vw dealer can change it for you so the service reminder comes on every 12 months 10k. As Seraph said though assuming you do a lot miles the longlife service schedule saves you having to have a service as often.

4. mark25 Forum Junkie

The whole longlife stratergy is geared around the fleet managers low cost maintenance wishes. If you want long engine life you'd be well advised to use another regieme. I have yet to be convinced (remain open minded tho) that the VW long life oil is good enough to bridge the longer service interval.

For some good background info on oil, look here:

http://www.synlube.com/viscosit.htm

and the stratergies that modern cars are built to, look here:

http://www.synlube.com/basics.htm

QUOTE from above link:

"It is important to realize that the service specifications and recommendations in the vehicle owner's manual are based on this design life of not more than 10 years or 100,000 miles."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007