Longest ratio gearbox for abf turbo without being boring

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Golfdan93, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Golfdan93 New Member

Hi everyone I'm currently building an abf turbo mk2 golf and need advice on what gearbox will be best for what I'm trying to achieve I want a decent long distance cruiser that won't rev to high sat on a motorway iv read a lot about the 020 and 02a/j boxes but not convinced that these will be a tall enough ratio and there must be a cabled gear change hydro clutch box that bolts straight to the block and standard mk2 mounts that has a tall enough 4th/ 5th if there's a 6th speed that will fit then even better iv not touched an abf before this one so I have a lack of gearbox knowledge for this engine and torque levels

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi Golfdan,

These things will affect your choices:
    - Wheel/tyre size combo? This will dictate the cruise RPM and acceleration the most.
    - Estimated torque/power output?
    - Cruising RPM speed and target you're hoping for?
    - Wanting an off the shelf gearbox or happy to put together a custom box from parts?

Thanks

Toyotec likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Majority of what you said is spot on. Well you have been there with various powertrain thought the last two decades.

Missing was laden vehicle weight.
    Power output is irrelevant if the torque profile is known.
    He would need to know the engine full load torque profile and pivot table of achieved torque for the useable rev range. Affects vehicle acceleration profile in the gears chosen.
    If the power profile is known, engine speed must accompany that data, which would be used to back calculate the torque and thus the suitability of gear box spacing and final drive.