Looking for help - 2.0 ALT 20v Advice

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Guff16v, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Guff16v Paid Member Paid Member

Fit Like, Looking to contact the following members, have private messaged them but nothing yet.

Seventynine, Lupocharged, Djdubs,

Currently looking to fitting a 2.0 20v Alt engine into my Mk1 and seen that these lads have done this engine swap, having diffuclties access the photos, do you need to join Photobucket to access the photos.

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Unfortunately photobucket has decided to charge people to upload there pics which has ruined many a build thread etc

What do want advice on and have you sourced engine and mounting brackets?

3. Guff16v Paid Member Paid Member

Engines i have two at the moment, currently ones my run arround, the other is a parts car,
    Really need to make a list of what i need, looking to use the 1.8T engine mount kits for the mk1 with some modification, think i will need some of the parts of the 1.8T engine, alternator bracket ect, decide on a suiatbel gearbox,
    but for now its a bolt on intake as there is no off the shelf kits for the 2.0 20v i can find in the uk

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I can point Sambo on here who can give more details.

Problem is, while the bottom end of the ALT has components that can be retrofitted into a 20vT motor, it was not built as a performance engine from the start.
    The cylinder head has a different tension arrangement for cam advancing and both lift and compression are quite moderate to deal with low grade fuels, that could be run on a vehicle like a Passat or A4.

I believe you can mess-about with them and maybe on throttles end up with a peaky 185ps engine at 7500rpm.

Considering you can do similar with a stock ABF engine with drop on throttles, you can understand why folks do not go through the hassle.

The base engine has potential if you would spend money developing it with many custom bits.

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's basically an alloy block 1.8T, so that's the mounts you need. Same bell housing arrangement as mk1/2/3/4 020/a/J, and VR6/G60 clutch and flywheel fits straight in.
    The head isn't wonderful looking as standard, and cams and manifolds for exhaust and itbs aren't common.
    I've a complete head, from an A6 ALT here if you wanted one.

Mine is destined for my mk1, but with an Abf head. Lots of non stock bits needed there too!

If I was to start over, I'd probably get an FSI.

notenoughtime likes this.
  6. Guff16v Paid Member Paid Member

looking to use the stock ALT head with solid lifters

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Good luck finding off the shelf parts for that.

9. Guff16v Paid Member Paid Member

I New it wouldnt be strait forward but some thing diffrent,

Are the 1.8T Air intake Manifold flange the same as the 2.0 ALT ? or Would a 1.8 ADR Intake Manifold fit?

whats better for Itb's small or large port intakes?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  10. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

When a std head is used a large port head flows more....but when heads are ported smal port and large port heads give pretty similar output.

11. Guff16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hi HPR thanks

12. Guff16v Paid Member Paid Member

Could any one help with Cam profiles for running Solid lifters?

13. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

On cam profiles it all depend what your power target is and what the engine spec will be. With hydro you can come already a far end .. and mech profiles are not always needed Dont be fooled by 0,1 mm durations , a hydro profile of 272 degr and a mech profile of 282 degr have both a duration of 240 degree @ 1.0 mm with similar lift @tdc... and for streetable power levels, there is no need to rev skyhigh...