Looking to buy a Bora V5

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by brizzol, Oct 10, 2012.

1. brizzol New Member

Hello
    I have had a mk3 Golf GTI 8 valve for the last 5 years but it has sadly come to the end of its life.

Im looking at getting the Bora V5 either 10v or 20v depending on what i can find for my money.
    I have a couple of questions that i hope some knowledgeable folks can answer for me..

Is there a great difference in performance between the 10v and 20v?
    Will i see a big difference in performance from my Golf?

Also when looking at Boras are there any known problems i should look out for?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

10v is 150 bhp
    20v is 170 bhp

yes it should feel quicker, i was quite impressed with the 170 in a golf

i bought a bora in may, very pleased with it, just a couple of minor niggles, the main ones are bottom edge of boot lid seems a common rust trap, and the head light lenses going cloudy, genuine one are expensive! also the usual, seat bolters altho if its leather, most v5' are, its should be ok. check panel gaps

3. Dave J Forum Member

4. brizzol New Member

Well i picked up my Bora yesterday and i love it!
    I have the 170BHP version and i find it a little slow off the mark but when the revs get going it shifts.
    Sounds really nice that very subtle roar of the V5 is addictive!
    The ASR button on the dash which i understand to be traction control, this is on by default so will this affect engine performance?

5. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

welcome to the club, i picked up a V5 (cough...auto...cough) 2 weeks ago (for the wife)
    Love it, it is a great car

6. brizzol New Member

Hey thanks :)

I have a performance question about this car.
    Considering i have never owned or driven one of these before im not sure how it should perform so see if this sounds normal to you?

The acceleration at low revs is really not very good, for instance im cruising along in 3rd gear with the revs at about 1500 or 2000 and i need to accelerate quickly so i put my foot down and well its very slow to respond until it gets past 3 or 4000!

It doesnt seem right to me, the guy i bought it from (car dealer) said it had just had a service but im thinking maybe it could be in need of a set of plugs or leads?

7. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

no problems with with '02 Auto, I wouldnt say it pull slike a train at low revs but it is better that my aussie spec mk2 gti lol