LOTUS ELISE HONDA Vs 911 GT3 CARRERA CUP

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by vwd40, Jan 6, 2006.

1. vwd40 Forum Member

Video taken at an open track day in Austrailia. The Lotus is an S2 with a Honda Civic Type R engine. 198bhp & approx 850Kg. The car was taken there for it's first track day shake down after the Honda install. The Elise is road legal and was on road tyres.

There just so happened to be a Porsche 911 GT3 Carrera cup car testing there with a full race team. 400bhp & 1,150kg.full race slicks, 6 pot 330mm race brakes.

The team was less than impressed at the pace of the Elise. I know it's a power to weight thing but the GT3's are anything but slow.

Consider the fact that we've just built a supercharged version with 290bhp. Brief test drive on the road was awesome.
    http://prbusa.kirrapak.com/elise/honda/GT3Cup.MPG<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2. AlexB Forum Member

Probably the gearing or something? As the porsche has 347 hp/tonne, and the lotus has 232... the porsche should be way faster!

3. madmonkey Forum Addict

Depends on driving ability and familiarity with the track. IMO :)

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

Does seem to go well doesnt it!

I went out as a passenger in a VX200turbo thingy once, came up behind a 911 with all the bits and pieces on slicks, got past it too, but the guy driving the VX was an absolutley incredible driver. On the full GP circuit I doubt I'd have seen which way it went though, but on Brands indy circuit it was fair game (if your a professional racing driver of course!)

5. Keith R Forum Member

That Elise was motoring:clap:!The fact you can hear the Porsche engine note as well puts it more into perspective andyou even hear himbounce offthe limiter going onto that long straight[:s]
    Edited by: Keith R

6. vwd40 Forum Member

The video speaks for itself any Elise is incredibly agile around the track.

So imagine our sport 190R (Exeige without wings) supercharged on slicks........

or even the Caterham R400, Civic Type R Engined throttle bodied 240bhp screamer that's just been completed.

Look out for a new winner at the tuners GP this year...............