Low Profile / Go Through Socket Sets

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Mike_H, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was on business in the US last week, and impulse-bought a set of Craftsman Max Access Sockets for just under $40. I haven't seen them for sale over here. Thanks to Steve_R who originally made me aware of Craftsman tools available at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931088000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

I thought the design was interesting and worth sharing. They look well made, fit together well, and are lower profile than my 1/4" drive set, even though they're more like a 3/8 drive set in terms of sizing. They look well made, and come with a lifetime guarantee.

The downside of the design is there's no interchangeability with other bits. I don't think you could use them as your only socket set, but handy for places where you can't get in with a normal socket, and the hole up the middle is useful for working down long fasteners, over sensor blade connectors, etc.

[​IMG]

I wondered if there were any other designs that people had seen, and what other options there might be out there.

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

While they look a good idea, Why wouldn't you use a ratchet spanner?

3. danster Forum Addict

That looks like a decent kit from the pic.
    Even though they are not compatible with standard socket set kits, they still look handy.
    I know on my own car that any seized bolts have now been dealt with and replaced, everything comes apart relatively easily with just basic tool these days.
    That kit and few spanners would just about cover all my needs at a track day, rather than lifting a huge tool chest into a car or van.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I have 2 sets of ratchet spanners (1 fixed head, 1 swivel head), but the heads are big and bulky, even on the posh ones, so often they don't fit around the fasteners that you can't get a socket on.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Always a tough call that... which tools to take to the track!

I also saw these - sockets that you use inside a spanner. Basically a more basic version of the set I've bought, if you put a ratchet spanner on them.

One of the good things about this set, is that the sockets locate inside the ratchet handle with a spring clip, so they're less likely to fall out.

6. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Glad you managed to track down the Craftsman tools. :thumbup:

I've been using them for years and I think you would struggle to find an engineer at my work who doesn't have a selection of craftsman tools. They are good quality at a reasonable price and cover a wide range of AF sizes so are ideal for working on aircraft.

I usually pick up a few items when i'm in the states, I go to the sears tool section while Sarah shops in the rest of the mall :)

I've not seen these before, might have to call into your place to take a look and then add them to my next shopping list.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sure - give me a shout when you're back on your feet. Borrow them for a try-out if you like.

8. Squible Forum Member

Looks rather nice quality! I may have to get the sister-in-law to pick some up next time shes back visiting! Hard not to at that price!

Sorry to swear, but Halfords (I know, I'm sorry!) also do a set like this called 'Vortex', again, in their professional range. Obviously they are more money though and metric, but handy non the less, especially for stud work. I do like the look of this Craftsman though!

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i have maxtec black chrome socket set from costco
    the sockets are anti round type
    seen a few makes do this now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's no prejudice against Halfords tools from me. Good kit for a DIYer, easy to find, and you get some good deals on bulk kits.

I think there are better tools out there, but lots worse too!

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Plenty of Halfords tools in my kit as well, mixed in with and used alongside the Snap-on, Craftsman and Facom. They are good value for money.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Looks like more of a standard format socket set, or am I missing something?

13. danster Forum Addict

The internal shape of the sockets means that they are classed as "wall drive", basically they rotate the nut or bolt hex by having more pressure away from the hex point intersections, this reduces the chances of rounding a tight or seized bolt or nut.

14. MUSHY 16V

it is but the sockets are shaped so they digin rather than round the nuts and that can be handy at times

im a bit of a tool whore an have lots of different makes
    the Halfords Professional sockets set i have is just as good if not even better than snap on
    and i have a lot of snap on spaners a sockets

15. MUSHY 16V

aye that's it dan works very well

16. m1keh Forum Member

Sealey and Draper also do similar sets if people are looking for something in the UK. Although nowhere near as good as the price Mike has payed for this set.

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have had Craftsman tools since 1985. Great thing about them is if you break them you can return them for a free replacement at any Sears Counter.

What I do not like about them is most tool sets and bundles tend to cater for American Ford, GM bolt sizes which means a few Euro sizes tend to be missing and have to bought separately.
    Apart from that very happy with the Craftsman tools I have.

Interestingly the mechnical side of Sears is the equvalent of Halfrauds just much much larger with all sorts of product lines. In fact the tool section alone is as big as some Halford stores.

18. Squible Forum Member

Good tools, I agree, over 50% of mine are from them, Just a horrible company :lol:

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

The one I was in (@ Vallco Mall, Cupertino) was massive. Rows of tool cabinets, compressors, air tools, and about 4 aisles of hand tools. Toolaholic heaven!

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Yes, the layouts of some of the superstores are impressive.