lowering a mk2 16v gti 60mm

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Vduber, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Vduber Forum Member

Hiya guys.

Is it possible to lower my mk2 60mm on normal bilstean shocks. the guy who owned it before me have but bilstean shocks and springs on but it sits to high on my 15" wheels.... Needs dropping 60mm to look right.

Vduber

2. alby Forum Junkie

if i was lowering a car that much i'd get shocks with shortened piston rods to match.

3. Vduber Forum Member

so we are talking around 250 for a complete SPAX kit.
    Or those supersporty coilovers thingys that are 350.

Hmmmm

Vduber

4. alby Forum Junkie

ive got the supersports on my mk2.firm ride but not too harsh plus you can set the ride height to exactly how ya want it.rather than buying springs and them being too low or not low enough.lol

5. Vduber Forum Member

yer supersport is wot i mean. How far will they drop? are the damper ajustable?

6. alby Forum Junkie

they are height only adjustable and they got to -120mm.

7. Admin Guest

get much scrubing from tyres at -120mm? :o

Vduber if you get the 60mm kit i think that would be a 75mm drop as the 16v is 15mm lower standard "i think".
    Edited by: Dave

8. Tanner Forum Member

I am pretty sure that the cars (8v/16v) are the same except using different springs/dampers.

the lower ride height is the result of the 16v spring being shorter so it doesn't matter what the car was originally. (although 16v may weigh a _tiny_ bit more)

tbh problem with loads of suspension kits is that they so often never match what they say on the box. Unless you get coilovers, it is worth checking out another car with the kit you want to see if it sits right.

if your bilstein (assume standard gas) shocks are in decent nick then you could just get a set of eibach springs which would be nice but probable not 60mm

9. Vduber Forum Member

the bilstein shocks where bought 10months ago complete with springs. I've only ever drivin a car with avo coilovers on and that was a fantastic drive...It goes where you want it to go. ....;)

the supersport coilovers look good but i just wondering if they come anywhere near the avos

Vduber