Lowering steering column on a MK2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by goof, Jul 6, 2008.

1. goof Forum Member

Has anyone done this? i'd like to know how much of a spacer i can get away with to lower the steering wheel slightly. The shell is away to get blasted and i can be bothered bolting up sub-frame and the steering rack to see how much of a spacer i can safely get away with without ruining the UJ's between the column and the rack, although i may have to. Oh yeah the spacers will live where the shear bolts on the column mount.

Thanks

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

yanks and seats had tilt anyway...so id guess you can get fair amount of drop safley

rubjonny will chime in soon i bet...he has a tilt wheel

3. Jetta Forum Junkie

Old Toledo ones fit I did price up the full set up from VW, it wasnt that much actually

Some parts are shared between mk2 adjustable and non-adjustable collumns
    so Ive ommited them from the list
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just fyi, the shear bolt is the same thread as the rear caliper->slider bolts on a MK2 whatever that is, the threadlocked ones you replace when you change pads. I know because I'm using 2 of those to hold the adjustible column on my MK2 :lol:

You can drop it pretty damn far really, the column will pivot at the base no problem. Main things to look out for are the UJ hitting the hole thru the bulkhead, plus the UJ itself reaching the limit of smooth movement. But tbh you would have to drop it pretty damn far before either o those things happen!

5. goof Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Like i said i dont want bolt up the rack and subframe to work out how much i can drop it i.e when the UJ will contact or lock up. No worries on the bolts i have drawers with thousands of them. After tacking in my seat-rails yesterday i would probably only want to drop it 10-15mm to bring the steering wheel more inline with me, instead of pointing out of the roof !

6. rubjonny

thats no problem at all, the adjust column goes down at least 2cm, maybe more. if you like i could measure the distance?

7. tcojoc New Member

I know this is an old post but I need help! Is there a captive nut on the other side of the shear headed bolt? I need to drop the steering column housing but scared I might have to remove the dashboard in order to bolt is back up. I have a 1989 MK2 golf without Pas and abs. Thanks!

8. rubjonny

The bolt threads into a welded nut on the bracket, another way to go about it is to unbolt the bracket the column attaches to, but that means removing the clocks to get to the 4x 13mm head bolts. If you do that you can leave shear bolts alone, but it depends why you need to actually need to drop the column :)

If you want to refit the column tube with the bracket attached, first remove the nut and bolt + bush 11, 19 and 21 in the above diagram otherwise it won't go on. Push the bush into the fork on column tube then offer it to car, then push the bolt thru the bush

9. daNpy Forum Member

Not a lot more afaik, the steering knuckle will start blocking at somepoint and that doesn't drive real handy.

Mine is lowered too, we took out the shear bolts, put some small alu blocks of approx 1,5 cm in between and re-fitted slightly longer bolts :)