Lupo tuning?

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Dclarke, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Dclarke Forum Member

Evening all,

What are your thoughts on racing a Lupo Gti? Are tuning parts limited and what sort of power do think would be possible?

Any help, links, ideas thoughts welcome as I've just bought the car!!!!!:)

Cheers,
    Duncan.
    evo.

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Well if you stick in a 1.8t it will open a whole new world of tuning potential

3. Dogwood Forum Member

Depends what you mean by racing ie. what series etc. There is alot of potential IMO. They have won the up to 1600 class in the DTC for the last 4 years. I trackday mine occasionally and its not bad. Just suspension and brake mods.

4. ianb Forum Member

Very quick car with brake and susp mods...power to weight is very favourable....certainly a well kept secret.
    There was someone from here at a trackday at Combe or Donnington.....very quick little car. I gather the engine is limited on tuning.

Ian

5. Dogwood Forum Member

Presuming you are talking about trackdays. Suspension kits are readily available, KW, Billies, Koni etc. I've got KW V2's and have no complaints. Powerflex do poly bushes. OMP do strut braces. No ARB's which is a shame as they would help alot. Front end could do with more caster but you'll need eccentric top mounts.
    Brakes can be upgraded to 280mm as MK2 Golf 16V. Pads are the same. Goodridge do hoses but don't list them yet. ABS is useful in the wet.
    Gearing (6 speed) is brilliant for a standard box, especially 3rd onwards which is ideal for circuit work. LSD's are available in Germany, but I will get round to pestering Quaife at some point. OMP, Weichers etc. do cages.
    If its still wearing the standard Dunlops get them off asap. With some F1's the car is transformed. Drop down to 195/45x15 as it shortens the gearing a wee bit too. A048's or similar would be better again in the dry obviously.
    Engine wise scope is limited by the roller rocker set up which caps revs at less than 8k. Uprated rockers etc. are big bucks. Stock bottom end is sound and CR is 11.5:1 std (run Optimax or it will pink). Basic head design is good but will give gains if worked. Schrick do cams. BMC CDA works and there are serial port re-maps available. Radiator is big so no cooling issues. Standard inlet manifold set up is restrictive.
    Most cars make around 130bhp standard. Worked head, Schricks, BMC with a properly done manifold and system and remapped will see about 160bhp. Throttle bodies will see another 15bhp or so plus lumps of torque.
    Pace wise from my experience a lupo with suspension and brake mods is a tiny bit quicker than a mk2 16V with similar mods. Mallory is in the 58's on Eagle F1's to give you some idea.
    Would be nice to see another one out there now and again tbh

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  6. jtothez Forum Member

You sure?

HnR list a Front ARB for the lupo?

And the head is flawed, but fitting the earlier polo 16v head will rectify the complicated roller rocker design

7. Dogwood Forum Member

H+R front bar is the same diameter as standard GTI. It's an upgrade for non GTI models. H+R did do a bolt in additional rear bar for the German Lupo cup, but they aren't available through retail. Simple enough to manufacture though.
    Like Jez says, early AFH head is the way to go for big bhp, but it starts getting expensive. Late head design is still far better than big block 16V though.

8. jtothez Forum Member

HMM

That's Very odd indeed, That would then lead me to believe, that its the same case for the polo, as I am pretty sure that the Polo shares front suspension setup with the Lupo

Surely thouh, just as its the same diameter, doesn't mean the stiffness is the same?

Just Checked the HnR listing, and the HnR polo Item is 21mm and the polo Gti is standard with a 22mm....

this puts my plans out of kilter, I was going to buy a HnR Golf2 rear one and the HnR front, but it may be no upgrade if what your saying is true

9. Bundles Forum Junkie

It could be a tubular ARB which are stiffer than solid ones.

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

11. Dclarke Forum Member

Thanks everyone, thats all really useful. The car is having the head worked at the moment with matched manifolds etc. It will be running Jenvey throttle bodies via DTA or Emerald manaegment but still unsure on cams. I'm looking at the Dunlop SE saloon championship next year in class D. The block needs to stay the same but brakes, tyres, suspension are all free and theres no minimum weight where I hope to gain. Brakes are Tar-ox 6 pots, tyres will be slicks and suspension is KW I think.

12. jtothez Forum Member

If Clublupo is to be believed

You can get your lupo to Weigh under 500 kgs [8-}]

13. Motorbass Forum Member

You're probablly talking about Darren's 1.0 Lupo? It's in Track and Race Cars every month...it's a really good project!

14. Dogwood Forum Member

Keep us posted with progress please.

15. Dclarke Forum Member

Will do no worries. Hope to learn how to post pics on here later so will get some up of the cage, interior, brakes current engine state etc. Watch this space. [:D]

16. Alex Chi New Member

04' Lupo Gti modification

Hi! Everybody,

We're VAG vahicle tuning shop in Taiwan,
    Now we're modifying customer's 04' Lupo Gti.
    He ready to let his lupo gti get close to Lupo BTC cup.

We were just finish the body work and change the color of car body.
    But we still need many parts to modify,
    For example:Roll cage,Engine head and throttle body work,ECU chip tuning,High camshaft,
    Injectors, Short shift kit.....ect.
    Do you know where we can get or who can supply us these parts?

If anybody know,please tell me.

Thks

17. Dclarke Forum Member

Right then.

Got the car back and it now has Jenvey 40’s fitted via a bespoke one off manifold which is matched to the head and throttle bodies, the head has been opened out and polished. The management is Emerald, the exhaust manifold and system is BTB, I’ve been charged 4000 and it managed an extra 3 bhp on the rollers. The map is spot on and the injectors/cams are standard. Any tips on where we’ve gone wrong? The exhaust gas is virtually nil though more air is definitely getting in. The fuel pump is standard. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Duncan
    evo

18. steved Forum Member

You have a PM

19. Dclarke Forum Member

Just PM'd you back Steve - didn't notice all the previous messages so apologies to all who emailed me - I'm not very technically minded!

20. Alex Chi New Member

Thank you,

But our customer's car is 04' Lupo Gti AVY.
    Aluminum 6 points Roll cage,Engine head and throttle body work,ECU chip tuning,Higher camshaft,complete exhaust system with manifold and high flow CAT,higher flow Injectors, Short shift kit.
    Those are all we need and we want to make this lupo up to 180hp and 8500rpm.
    I'm sure maybe some parts need to be bespeak,
    It's ok!
    But we don't know who can help us?
    If you know,Please tell me,

Thanks a lot,

Alex