Manual window problem?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Daniel119, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Daniel119 Forum Member

I just bought a 1990 Mk2 GTi 8v with manual windows, but I noticed this morning that the window was slightly down, probably about a centimetre and I know for certain I closed it last time as to be honest, I should have bought a boat not a golf the amount it ****ed it down here!

But in playing about with it, I noticed that with the window fully up - I can actually push the window down by hand :lol:. When doing this, the window winder spins round as if you were using it to lower the window.

Is this a simple fix for a common problem? Or is it a case of needing a new window mechanism?

Cheers in advance, Dan :)

2. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

it does sound like the cable has probably stretched on the mechanism. they are pretty cheap to buy from vwspares.

welcome to the 8v massive.

3. Daniel119 Forum Member

Will it be stretched so much i can see it by eye? And i take it you mean that the cable can be replaced and it is cheap from VW spares as opposed to the whole mechanism?

And cheers :lol:

4. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

it may be visible by eye. the whole mechanism is cheap. just replace the lot

5. Daniel119 Forum Member

Cheers mate