Master cylinder - too many ports 8v GTi

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nic-clark, Oct 4, 2014.

1. nic-clark Forum Member

Hi,

I need to replace the master cylinder on my '91 GTi 8v. I've bought a new one from euro parts. The new one has two bottle holes and 6 ports - 2 on each side and two on the bottom. From what I can see, my master cylinder only has 2 ports - left hand side as you look from the front.

There are no blanks in the box and I am wondering if 4 holes plus a bottle hole is too many to blank and I perhaps have the wrong part?

Anyone know what to do? [:s]

2. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

If its got 2 ports either side (4) and the 2 for the bottle then just put 2 bleed nipples in the spare ports its what I did!! Seems strange its got 6 as well as the 2 for bottle prob wrong one!

3. nic-clark Forum Member

It's a Padgid part like this one -

[​IMG]

2 on top, two each side and bottle ports on top. It's listed on halfords and ecp as the correct part but I am sure it's wrong. Time to take it back!

Thanks!

4. eightieshatches Forum Member

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Use a bleed nipple or two in the spare holes
    Jon

6. BenjaminVWH Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    nic-clark likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

they have sold you a mk1 master cylinder, or summat else random. mk2 ones are either be 2 or 4 ports. as above if you end up with 4 ports block the spares with bleed nipples, generally a decent make will come with proper blanks to do the job

8. nic-clark Forum Member

That's exactly what it said on the box - Golf MK1. It has been duly returned.

When you say upgrade - will this make the braking better? (Sorry for being thick) Everything else is brand new and standard. It's kind of a no brainer as they don't have stock of the direct replacement anyway!

Thanks!

9. eightieshatches Forum Member

Yes the 16v master cylinder is a bigger bore than the 8v one. Gives a nice firm pedal essential if used with the later 16v bigger brakes or g60 280mm brakes should you wish to go bigger later on.

nic-clark likes this.
  10. nic-clark Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification - it's ordered and on the list to do at the weekend :thumbup:

11. BenjaminVWH Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

12. nic-clark Forum Member

Thanks everyone - works a treat! Getting the reservoir bottle on really hurt :o

Just as an aside - how far should the pedal go before the braking starts - it's really firm so I don't think there's any air, but travels a little further than I would like, I'm guessing this isn't adjustable?

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah you cant adjust the biting point, the clevis pin o nthe servo to pedal joint will only change the height of the pedal. once the air is out thats all you can do!

nic-clark likes this.
  14. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Horrible weather for it right now, but you could try checking/setting up the rear callipers. If they're not right wound out right it will affect the pedal. Do late 8v have 16v front brakes? Otherwise a 22.2mm M/C is a downgrade.

nic-clark likes this.
  15. nic-clark Forum Member

I'll def check the rear calipers when the weather is kinder - supposed to be good this weekend :) ...

The rear calipers are new as are pads. Not sure what front brakes it has, but replaced the master cylinder with a 16v one anyway. I need to check the balance valve too, the spring is movable when the car is empty but I think it might be a little too loose. It stops well though - straight and pretty quick, just an inch or two of play before.

16. BenjaminVWH Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

All 8v's had the same small 239mm brakes. :thumbup:

17. BenjaminVWH Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

If your pads are literally brand new, it can take a little time for them to bed in, which will in turn bring the biting point up a little. Make sure you bleed the master cylinder too, release the 2 blanking plugs until fluid steadily streams out, trapped air here cant escape and will make the pedal travel further.