Matching AMP RMS with SUB RMS?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by G-Man, Feb 20, 2006.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Nah thats the next thing i've got to do. I read from matey matey to use capacitors/resistors to set the frequency?

The amp is set with a low pass filter set at 70hz at the moment as i run some tacky kenwood 7x10's on a mdf parcel shelf.

Might invest in some JBL 6x4's for the rear parcel shelf supports and get some components for the front!

2. mbh69 Forum Member

alpinejim
    you can run about 5000 rms in one channel from one amp check out the tru technology sledge hammer
    but theres loads that will do well over 2500 rms single channel from one amp

as for gain mines set at a third all amps are different mines been scoped and this is it's limit before clipping you can't tell if theres clipping without a scope

if you need to know more search or ask on talkaudio what they don't know isn't worth knowing

3. alpinejim

alpinejim Forum Member

Okay, i checked it out and that is one mother of an amp. My appologies.

Quite why someone wants that much power in their car is still beyond me though.

Maybe i've mellowed a bit since i was filling my car with ICE as a youngster.

4. phatgti CGTI Regional Host

Gain should never be used to achive more volume, on any decsent amp the Gain
    Should be between a quarter and a third. If my memory serves me correct the Gain
    is used to match the pre-out value from the head unit.

5. copper Forum Member

now this is all getting confusing lol! why would you wanna do that, does it make much difference?[:s]

im going to build/buy an install shortly into my mk2 and tbh i think im gonna get lost with all this setting up that's to do or is reccommended! [:$]

mark

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

makes a big difference in my experience. Small speakers trying to do big bass tends to make them sound crap with midrange frequencies, which is what they are there for - they are never going to play big bass notes anyway, so if they try they're just working too hard to reproduce sounds that wont be heard anyway.