Mayo in breather pipe

Discussion in 'Engines' started by VdubNash, Oct 28, 2003.

1. VdubNash Forum Member

Hi

While cleaning my airbox I took off the breather pipe that goes from the head to the airbox and noticed in it was a kind of mayonese stuff with a couple of drips of water too [xx(]

I thought water in oil ends up mayonesey?

No overheating or other probs - is this the start of the headgasket going? [:^(] Loss of performance for the past six months but I think this is down to a knackered brake servo causing some gremlins.

I've always lost a small bit of water every once in a while but nothing worrying. Also no mayonese on the dipstick or filler cap. No white smoke from exhaust either.

Do I need to worry or is this one of those things with an old car?

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

As far as i know its nothing to worry about, the 16v engine that was in my car did the same all the time. I endedup re routing the tube to the floor so i didnt have to keep buying air filters.

3. VdubNash Forum Member

Nasty ol stuff isn't it? [xx(]

Bit of good news then, cheers mate ;)

4. 8vvw New Member

water is a by-product of combustion some of it goes down into the oil, when the oil gets hot it evaporates and ends up in the relitively cold breater pipes and dip stick tube, here it condenses forming a messy mix of oil and water. As long as theres not to much of it don't worry