"Mayonaise" in oil filler cap

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Drifter, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Drifter New Member

Just bought a Mk2 8v GTi and it has mayonaise in the oil filler cap. What could this be? No blue smoke but the car has been sat around so maybe it just needs a bit of a long drive? Any ideas?

2. b'locks Forum Addict

head gasket [8(]

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Could just be condensation if the car was only used for short trips (oil not getting hot enough). I`d do an oil and filter change and keep an eye on the coolant level, the oil cooers can fail letting the water and oil mix as well as the head gaskets failing.

4. Drifter New Member

Could be - needs a service anyway. Misfiring a bit too so needs a look over...

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

If the car is otherwise running great then I certainly would not worry too much. As Keith says, an oil and filter change could cure it. I bought an 8V MK2 GTI at the beginning of this year, which had awful looking mayo under the oil cap. After an oil change, the car has been perfect for the last eight or nine months. The car originally had been used for short trips around a farm. I still find chicken feathers in it...

6. Raider Forum Member

Mine you used to make mayonaise whenever the oil cooler used to go tits up [:s]