Measure Your Balls

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by BMXJeff, Sep 3, 2011.

1. BMXJeff New Member

Hi Guys,

Can somebody please tell me, or spare a few mins to run out and measure the diameter of the gear linkage relay shaft ball on their mk2 golf?

There are plenty of places you can buy these but I need one yesterday so I'm gonna have to make something to spec.

This can be found to right of the block at the top rear of the gearbox and steering rack as in this pic:
    [​IMG]

I need to know the diameter of the ball, measurement 'A' in the pic:
    [​IMG]

Mine currently looks like the one below. A white spindle with no rubber at all leaving 2-3 inches of play in the gearstick!
    [​IMG]

Appreciate your help in advance,

Cheers,

Jeff

PS: Cheers to rubjonny for the awesome linkage repair guide thread where I nicked these picks! Find it here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3126584-THE-MK2-gear-shift-linkage-repair-guide

2. danster Forum Addict

These balls any use?

[​IMG]

If not, I just nipped out and measured the right one for you. 34mm OD.

Deposits 2 pints in my paypal, and a little swarfega too please.

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

About 1mm less in diameter than the width of the U-shaped bit it fits into. That's an almost brand-new aftermarket one. Couldn't get a vernier on it no matter how I tried, but, by eye a mm of clearance.

That'll hopefully agree with danster's measure. :thumbup:

4. BMXJeff New Member

:thumbup: This is what dreams are made of! Thanks for the crazy fast reply guys, a pint for you both :thumbup:

Just fitted my full stainless system manifold back and the linkage bushes are just one of the 'sub missions' that happened along the way

Cheers,

Jeff

5. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

020 linkage slop

Have just measured one each new "topran" aftermarket and good oe used ball at 33.50 and 33.75 respectively[:s]

The U shaped linkage they wobble between varies from 34.25 to 34.75 on an early and 34.25 and 34.50 on a late MkII, the U shaped portion being 5mm (yours, above) and 3mm thick respectively[:^(]

Be aware greater wear/slop often develops between the ball 10.0mm i.d. and it's mounting bracket shaft than elsewhere:o