Medion Pocket PC/ Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by TurboDubGal, Oct 21, 2005.

1. TurboDubGal Forum Member

Whatever you do do NOT buy one of these. I am having terrible problems with mine and Medion are appauling at customer service. I have been trying to contact them everyday for a week but no one is answering the phones.

I bought a Sat Nav/Pocket PC back in June 2005 and I have only had the unit in my posession for less than one month. The rest of the time it has either been in Halfords being repaired or back at Medion having thefaulty part changed.the unitis at Medion as we speak and has been there for the last 2 weeks. It just keeps braking. First the screen broke, then the battery broke and it keeps loosing programs for no reason. When they work they are OK but they don't work much. My Dad has one fo these too and he has had nothing but problems with his too. Neither Halfords or Medion will give me a refund or change the unit for a new one and it takes 2 months for them to repair it. Any ideas on where I stand legally?

If anyone has one of these products and has had similar problems can you please contact me as I'm going to approach Watchdog.

Thank you for your time.

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Can't you reject it because it's not proving fit for the purpose for which you bought it? Check with your local Trading Standards place.

3. TRS

trs Forum Member

Im sure in that case you should be able to return the product - defective goods?!

In the least, they should have replaced the unit straight away rather than getting it repaired. There is no way I would allow them to repair a brand new product. As far as im concerned, it should be brand new and not a refurbished item.

Disgraceful tbh.

4. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

I believe it is not of marketable quality and they have to give you a refund if it keeps breaking.
    A firm call to the Halford's manager should sort it. If not get his regional managers name from him and keep going up the chain.

The Sale of Goods Acts lay down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet. The goods must be:

of satisfactory quality

as described

fit for purpose
    'Satisfactory quality' covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it does not give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

'As described' refers to any advertisement or verbal description made by the trader.

'Fit for purpose' covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If something you buy from a trader does not meet these conditions, you are entitled to a full refund if you return the goods soon after purchase. Otherwise you are first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced.

If these remedies are inappropriate, then you are entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The Act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods are not 'as described'.

If goods which are expected to last 6 months, do not do so it will be presumed that the goods did not conform to the contract at the time they were bought, unless the trader can prove to the contrary.

In all other situations, it is for the consumer to prove his/her own case (i.e. that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult, the longer you have had the goods. Subject to this, a consumer has six years from the time he/she buys something in which to make a claim.

You only have a relatively short period to get a full refund. After this time, you will be deemed to have 'accepted' the item. If it then turns out to faulty, you will have to claim compensation - see Enforcing the Law.

here

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

Medion have a really good name in my neck of the woods, adly sell their pc's and laptops, which are always all sold out within the first few hours of trading..... [:s]

6. Claypole Forum Junkie

They have two chances to fix it then you can ask for your money back.

Moral of the story is buy from Ebuyer then I'd have just refunded or replaced it regardless of what I was supposed to do. ;) :lol:

7. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

A guy at work went to Halfords to buy a Satnav system for his car and was going to buy the Medion because of the price. He was told by the guy selling them that the Medion devices were rediculously unreliable.

He showed him the history of devices sent back over the past few months and it went along the lines of 1 or 2 RoadAngels, 1 or 2 of this that and the other, then 20 odd Medion Satnav systems.

8. Switch625 Forum Member

I thought electrical goods all carry a 12 month retailer guarantee? In which case you are well within your right to take it back to Halfords and demand a refund for faulty goods.