mega squirt wiring on a mk1, fuel pump feed? UPDATE 21-7 NEARLY THERE

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by M7R, Jul 16, 2009.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Im in the process of fitting a megasquirt ecu into the mk1 to control the new engine, when it was taken from the last car the wiring on the fuse box was like this:

[​IMG]

now mine doesnt have the relay thats rinnged - I think its the fuel pump relay - do I need it? (I have wires going to where it is...but no relay)

also where the red and yellow wire comes from the fuse box plug, I dont have anything.... now the wire on the MS loom says "fuel pump" so do I just fit a connector and inset it into the multi plug? (the other car also has the yellow wire thats bunched up... I dont have that either on mine..im not sure if this is tee-ed in to the switched live off the fues box or not..

this is how my fues box looks at the mo.

[​IMG]

Ive got the 2 main wires connected.... but the 3rd im stumped...

any help guys?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fuel pump relay on the late S2 fusebox (same as a pre-90 MK2) is on the main fusebox, position 2. the one above the fusebox is either increased idle valve control relay or coolant level sensor control relay. in your case I'd say its for the level sensor as I can see a yel/red wire going to it?

the red/yel from the 1st pic looks to be D13, which is an earth trigger for the digifant/16v fuel pump relay, so as long as megasquirt is set up to supply an earth trigger then you can run this wire to that pin, and fit a 67, 167 or 80 relay to spot 2.

k-jet 8v doesn't have this wire as the fuel pump relay has a rev counter feed instead, so if you kept the factory rev counter wiring you could just use a k-jet 8v fuel pump relay without adding any extra wiring. You would want trhe type without a rev limiter in though as the megasquirt ecu should take care of this :)

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

im keeping the factory rev counter, and I dont think my fuel pump has a rev limiter built in as I used to run my 8v on a after market limiter with a 7k limit...

so should i just add a connector to the fuel pump wire thats bare at the mo and insert it then? (I dont like electrics... can you tell :lol:)

4. rubjonny

you dont need to do anything, leave the factory k-jet relay in there and it'll sort everything out for you :)

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

so what about the blue fuel pump wire? or just egnore that?

6. rubjonny

is this from the megasquirt loom? if so just tie it up somewhere neatly, in case you want to use it later/in another car :)

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

yep its in the megasquirt loom... Ill try it just tied up then :thumbup:

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If it is a MS1 on V3 PCB
    You need either an external relay to control the F/P or connect to the factory positions on the Fusebox.
    N= Injector supply
    R 1 = Digifant relay supply
    R 2 = Digifant relay output to ECU.
    D13= F/P relay trigger from MS Pin 37

MS Pin 37 triggers the earth on the relay coil to switch on the F/P and also injector supply. If not using factory relay location, then supply relay with power from Ter30 or Batt +ve use 20A fuse if not using VAG fuse box.
    The relay coil should supplied with switched 12v (0.5 blk/yel) or Ter15 ignition supply ( 0.5solid black)
    Relay coil earth should be 0.5mm red/yel to D13 on fusebox
    F/P supply 2mm red/yel.
    Injector supply 1.5mm red or red/black.

You can use pre 90 digifant relay to supply power to the MS else normal 4 oin job can also do the trick.

If you get stuck send me a pm and I will dig out my notes.

9. rubjonny

Ah didnt realise the MS also powered the injectors via the fuel pump relay. in this case I would use the wire originally for the WUR to trigger a relay for the injectors, or power them direct. If you look round the back of the fusebox you should find a white/red wire, usually it runs to a double spade plug. This is the WUR power wire and is an output from the k-jet fuel pump relay.

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Right I plan to get it running tomorrow, so.... the plan is check what relay I have in position 2 and if its a 67, 167 or 80 then I just jump off pin D13 as on the old car and job done?

what are my options if I dont have that relay? or is it a case of go and hand money over to GSF and get one?

Cheers

Karl

11. rubjonny

either that or any MK3 Golf in the scrappy, plus digifant MK2 8v and 16v :)

E/14 is the output leg of the fuel pump relay, plus you should find a handy spare white/red spade wire for the WUR kicking about back there.
    Also as toyo says pin N is also on the output leg of the relay so you could use that, but note this pin is not fused so fit an inline unit!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  12. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Right, I have been to the scrappy for a few bits and bobs and have got a few 167 and 67 relays from mk3 golfs, so the plan is put that in position 2 and then attach the blue wire to pin D13, and job done?

13. rubjonny

that'll get the fuel pump going aye! just need to hook up the fuel injector power feed as above :)

14. rubjonny

just tracked down a pre-90 euro wiring diagram, pin N is the factory location for the digifant fuel injector power, so use that :thumbup:

the US diagrams I had reconed the power came direct from the ECU, which I was pretty sure wasnt right!

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

right, so so long as my wiring mirrors the one it came from IE the blue in D13, the other 2 in the same locations we should be good to rock..

16. rubjonny

yarg you should be good to go!

17. Toyotec

Yes, "N" is where I power injectors from on MK2 ver 1 fuseboxes for aftermmarket ECUs. As an alternative you can power them from the fuel pump voltage supply.
    This is where it was originally powered from for the ECU that is now owned by M7R.

18. Toyotec

Karl I believe all the relays are the same. Earthing D13 will liven up the F/P relay. This is where MS pin 37 would connect to.
    I spoke to G60RGE and this is where he cut the wire from. This blue (labelled "F/P") wire should trace back to MS pin 37.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  19. rubjonny

the other option would have been to leave all the factory wiring alone and stick with the k-jet relay, and run the injector wire to pin N as above, it would work just the same just rather than MS triggering the fuel pump relay it'll be triggered from the rev counter wire from the coil. either way works!
    advantage of the digifant relay is you can find em everywhere for cheap, k-jet relays can be bought from gsf but for how much longer? I used a digi type relay in my MK1 16v, becasue thats what I had spare plus I had a digi pre-90 loom I could rob the D13 wire from. Saved me having to buy another relay :)

20. Toyotec

This is not good industry practice unfortunately. I would perfer the MS ECU to carry out the above function as a standalone. This wiring set up as decribed by myself was running in the doner car for 3 years without fault or failure. It is recommend to stick with this format.