megasquirt 1.8t N75 valve or manual boost contoller with megasquirt

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Rocco Storm 16v, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

Just want peoples opinions really, i am sorting the wiring on my V3 megasquirted 1.8t Scirocco (AUQ code) i have been thinking about the boost control, i know that megasuirt can control boost using the original n75 valve and the MSEXTRA boost control modification, however has anybody tried using a manual boost contol valve instead? i have heard differnt opinins about the ie boost spikes overboosting etc. but this i would have been more down to poor tuning or using th OE ecu that goes into limp mode ect. Anyone tried using one of these with aftermarket ecu?

2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

im going to be using the n75 valve then the boost tables to set it up i have got a manual controller but why reinvent the wheel the n75 is there it was used in a previous life in a audi so im gonna bite the bullet and try to get it working maybe this weekend

ive got the added hardware already fitted to the ecu so

when i first drove the car with toyotec sat there playing we hit 25psi opps because the n75 valve wasnt wired up but plumbed in piupework wise so at the moment i have a long pipe going from the wastegate to the throttle body now only getting 3 to 4 psi so its safe for now

3. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

You will have to ket me know how succesful it is when you try it, where did you get your IRLZ44 FET from? The carrage and handling charges are a rip off from RS as i dont really need anything else.

Just out of interest what oil pressure sensors have you used on your setup?

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

im using 2 pole oil pressre sender and 8v gti oil warning sendor

my ecu was built by bill shurvington think he stocks most bits youll find his email on msefi.com

5. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

oh yeah, i forgot about Bill i have had a few bits off him in the past, I think i am going to go with a manual boost controller for now, i have access to a rolling road so i can monitor it closely. I have got a long list of things still to get done and i am going to try and keep it simple where i can. I will try and get some photos on here to se what you think to the old rocco.

Cheers for the help i going to bed my brain feels a bit scrambled afrer stripping down a wiring loom all evening take it easy

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

wiring my favourite job :lol: :lol: i made a completely new loom in the end cos vw made there looms so hard to strip back and spice into:lol:

7. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

I am quite good at making looms myself vehicle electrics is one of my specialities but i dont like doing it all the time cos it really ****es me off after a while, best one to date was a 1957 porshce 356 from scratch with only a balck and white wiring diagram to work from as the original loom had been thrown away.

God knows what glue the use on that impregnated material tape but it is really punishing on your fingers but its all off now.

The main reason i am using the vw loom is to save on unecessary expence by the time you get all the wire, connectors ect it all ads up. I am trying to achieve a really proffesional job for minimal cost and as all the wiring is only a year old it seems a shame to throw it away.

Getting there today tho fabbed up a complete stainless downpipe, my TIG packed up so i think i will finish it off with the MIG tommorow will post pics tommorow if the cover hasn't frozen to my fresh paintwork like it was this morning had visions of peeling the paint off instead if the ice.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  8. bens_cab Forum Junkie

lol cool you can make me a downpipe if you like mines is not the greatest ever made
    my whole conversion to date is less than 2k

9. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

I havent added up what its cost me yet, its no where near that yet cos i had a stroke of luck with my engine it was even better than free. I bought 10k engine with 6 speed box, all ancilaries the works for 680, however i resited temptation on fitting the box and sold that for 475, sold the clock keys and ecu for 120, clutch, FW and starter for 75 and all the othe bits and i think i ended up about 120 up i even sold my knackered 16v engine and box for 50 [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

The rest of the bits i have picked up of ebay for between 99p and 70 so far including a brand new G60 clutch for 30, already had the megasquirt, think i only payed 80 for that broken a year and a half ago so that cost has already been absorbed. Trying to do the whole thing for under a grand for the engine conversion, not including my labour

Alot of the other bits like engine and gearbox mounts, downpipe, hyrauliuc clutch system i have fabbed up myself so it has just cost materials and time

Oh yeah i like the pics of your mini, i was into mini's before my bro got me into dubs, ive got a 1974 mini clubman, its got a tuned 1380 in it, i did put an eaton m45 supercharger on it for a whil but took it off cos it was a bit much. All good fun tho

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  10. bens_cab Forum Junkie

dont talk to me about minis lol i can get a 20vt lump to run in a mk1 but when it comes to the mini its a pain its bogs down when you get going but i think its the timing went and looked at a mg metro turbo last night as a donor car for when the cabs finished lol

got a few wiring issues with the cab to sort out but hoping to get them done this weekend

rev counter
    dash oil light
    wideband

then its job done

11. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

I just had a quick look at your pics again, first thing i would do is ditch the cone filter these although look good don't do you any favours because ther is really bad airflow into the filter it just sucks up hot dirty air from the exhaust mainfold. Replace it with the original filterbox and a k&n relacement element with some tubing running down to the front of the car, reset the timing correctly and then get off to a decent rolling road and have the carb jetted properly with the correct needle.

How have you been tuning your Cab so far if you havent had the wideband connected?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  12. bens_cab Forum Junkie

yeah thats what i thought it sounds like its sucking up the tarmac when you drive it

theres loads of bits that have been fitted

stage 1 tuning kit electronic ignition ect ect

the funny thing is i got it for the mrs to learn to drive in but she cant get a look in im out in it all the time lol

will you be going to any shows this year

going to try and get all the megasquirt boys down to the pod this year as it seems there alot of us now doing the conversion with various engines

13. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

I have a list propably longer than my arm of the mods done to mine, i know it has cost about 6000 to build, originally it was going to be a quick tart up stick some arches on it and drive it erm how wrong was I. 2k paintjob, big engine, coilovers, adustable suspension new interior,and on and on, i think i got carried away.

As for going to shows, i am going to try and get along to a few if i can, i am trying so set up my own garage at the mo as well as getting all these cars done. doesnt leave a lot of time. You will have to let me know about the pod its not to far away from me it would be good to put a few cars head to head

14. bens_cab Forum Junkie

my mate has a 1976 mk1 20vt using emerald you may have seen the car before its lofoton green

will be doing a head to head with him at the pod to see where i can improve i hoping his lack of boost control will be his downside the engines are the same ect ect the only difference i would say is the boost control plus the mapping mine will have using the wideband and knock sense

15. Rocco Storm 16v Forum Member

cool, what engine have you got in yours 150bhp ko3 agu?

16. Fenn Forum Member

Emerald has closed loop boost comtrol.

17. bens_cab Forum Junkie

ah yes but he doesnt have a n75 valve his wastegate pipe goes straight to the throttle body lol