Megasquirt detection on Laptop (stumbling at the first hurdle)

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by adam_bmx, Aug 12, 2015.

1. adam_bmx Forum Member

I wanted to get a feel for the calibration on my MS on my 16vg60 project and have struggled to get the laptop to detect the ECM.

Armed with both Tunerstudio and Megatune downloaded I plugged my laptop in via the serial port and first tried TS to detect the ecm. It came back with "no controller found"

Then I tried MT, set the Port to com1 Baud rate to 115200 and tested which came back No response. So i moved on to the port checker that came with MT and that said

com1 opened
    9600 baud
    no connection made
    115200 baud
    no connection made
    1 valid port found.

I opened the computers device manger and set the Com port to Com1, set both receive and transit buffers low and ticked use FIFO buffers.

Tried it all again an no luck.

Now this may sound simple but with the ignition on i have none of the 3 LEDs on the ecm light. The car starts and idles, i also tried to communicate with the car running, again no luck.

A bit gutted I've struggled to get anywhere with it yet so any help would be really grateful

2. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

i am having similar difficulties mate, i have ordered up a few new cables to try different ways of connecting and another laptop.

i have found that the first led comes on with the ignition though, its strange that yours does not! not tried to start mine yet as i want to check all the settings first even though i have a basemap from a reliable source

sorry i cannot be of more help but i am sure you will not wait long for a proper expert.

Baz

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. adam_bmx Forum Member

I've ordered a new lead and downloaded the driver for it and this time going to try it on a different laptop,

Thanks for the reply Baz, I'm also confident the base map is good, came from a reliable source and tried and tested on another similar set up before making its way to me.

Not sure why I don't have an LED lighting up on ignition, will have to look to see if that's right or not

4. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

my new connection leads came today and i got it started dude, hopefully you will have the same good fortune when yours comes. i managed to get it with a usb-serial (and driver)........i was also using a laptop with a serial port initially but could not get it working.

good luck!

Baz

5. mec82 Forum Member

I had similar issues, also had no luck with the cheap cables and got a proper ftdi one which did the trick

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk