Megasquirt on dx motor. Worth it??

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by seanr68, Sep 29, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah need a valve after the gauge on the WUR side, theres a great wur mod thread on here which covers everything nicely. its for16v but it shows the gauge and the procedures. pressure specs take from here:
    http://www.race.nangreaves.com/golf/index.htm

2. emery1990 Forum Member

Mapping and ecu you could get for 500 odd quid. Then whatever you get the other bits and bobs for. Wiring seemed daunting at first and took me agess! to get my head round, now looking back the wiring's the easy part, I wouldn't even bother learning how to do megasquirt unless your going to do it a few times as it just cost 280 to get it the whole mapped, cold start wot cruise etc etc.

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

A bit optimistic for fitting MS to a machanical injection car IMO. You may get away for that on a digifant engine that already has electronic injectors, etc.

4. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

It varies from person to person. Some never did this conversion before but managed to do it in 4-5 days..

5. emery1990 Forum Member

True, but I still think mapping should be left for the experts as for 280 it isn't much really in tuning terms.

If you are only doing the one, like me it's a waste time me learning all about the tuning side as tbh I'll never use it again after the tuner has tuned my car. Obviously if your planning to do a few projects with it over time then yer.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The thing with ms is, it takes hours of fine tuning to get the car how you want it. You have to have patience and an understanding of what's going on. It's never just a one time tune and done.
    That's why ms isn't for everyone. The user HAS to be willing to do some work and try to understand it. And obviously why you didn't succeed with it. [:^(]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. emery1990 Forum Member

-[:^(] Was running on two cylinders and couldn't find an explanation so never got started on tuning...

Thing is it can be for everyone though as all you have to do is install it, then trailer it too a tuner to do the whole lot and a whole lot better than what you could do, having excess to a dyno plus years and years of experience.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

There is a middle way - you may have just been unlucky. Mine has been fine tuned on a dyno, but 99.5% of the power was delivered by road mapping with our 'tame megasquirt expert'. When I do the next car, I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to build it, get it running, and deliver a half-decent map to get it running, before taking it to be tweaked on the rollers. Rolling road time is expensive, so it's better to do as much as you can, and you need to do some mapping on-road to fine tune the driveability / low throttle responsiveness.

If you were running on two cylinders, I reckon that maybe one of your injector driver circuits wasn't working, as it's normal to split the injector wiring 2+2. I had a few problems in the build of mine, some of which were down to bad wiring on my part, and some of which were hardware issues (e.g. the dizzy decided to die on me).However, with a bit of persistence and some help, it was possible to sort them all out, and end up with a running car, that's been very reliable since.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As Mike says the injector drivers are probably fecked.

PM me if you require further assistance.

10. emery1990 Forum Member

Cheers mate, Is there any way of checking whether they are knackered.

I'm a complete idiot tbh, as I was so fed up with it running 2 cylinders I bought a new abf with ms2 from mk2abf lol. And ripped out my loom. I bought a new db37 plug and some wire and was trying to solder wire onto it and make a new loom but couldn't get the solder to melt to it. too big a solder iron I think. As got the fuel rail from abf and put on my 9A to check whether it was the fuel rail.

Reason thinking it's fuel rail was because 3+4 went, not 1+3 2+4 like the wiring is wired up?

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Were you using the stock ABF fuel rail then? Did you try pulling it apart and cleaning up the contacts?

I bought a gas soldering iron, and found it much easier to get a decent quality joint as it seems to get hotter than electric ones.

12. emery1990 Forum Member

Yes I was, no I didnt try that, I was looking for a new one with no luck. Going to send my ecu off to toyotech so if it works on his car then it was the fuel rail. So could of cost just 30 instead of a whole new engine haha ohwell got a fully unlocked ms2 with so still having megasquirt!

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd have thought it's easier to check the fuel rail - buzz test with a multimeter to check continuity, and clean up the contacts, than wait for couriers and a slot in the tame megasquirt expert's hectic schedule...

14. emery1990 Forum Member

Well I asked this question a few hundred times with no one knowing what the hell was going on, Check my getting started thread...So if it is the fuel drives then yes I would have to send it away. Eddie told me to send it up to his. I dont mind if its away for a month if he's busy atm.

It started fine for a bit then came back from holiday and boom the chaos started.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011