MegaSquirting AGU 1.8 20v Turbo

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mad Professor, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mad Professor New Member

Good day all.

As the title says, I am looking at MegaSquirting a AGU 1.8 20v Turbo engine for a converion.

I am looking at using as much of the stock engine as possible, Injectors, COPs, sensors, ect.

I am going to be using a MegaSquirt 2 with the lastest MS2-Extra firmware, and using the v3.0 pcb.
    The megasquirt unit has had alot of extra added to support this engine, four coil drivers, pwm idle out, boost control, tacho out, 2nd trigger input (hall) for cam.

I am still at the stage of collecting as much info as possible.

The following data I have been able to find using google, manuals, autodata, ect.

Bore: 81.00 mm
    Stroke: 86.40 mm
    Displacement: 1781 cc

Compression ratio: 9.30:1

Maximum power: 148.0 bhp @ 5700 rpm
    Maximum torque: 155 ftlb @ 1750 rpm

Engine Make: Volkswagen
    Engine Model: Golf (Mk4)
    Engine Code: AGU

Engine Idle: 860+/-60rpm.

Engine Redline (Rev Limiter):

Stock Peak Boost:

Injector Make: VW / Audi / Bosch
    Injector Model: VW 06A 906 031 (Bosch 0 280 150 464)
    Injector Flow Rate: 258cc/min @ 3bar.

Coil Pack Make: VW / Audi / Bosch
    Coil Pack Model: VW 058 905 105 (Bosch 0 040 100 013)

Thottle Body Make: VW / Audi / VDO
    Thottle Body Model: 06A 133 063 G (408.237/212/007)

Crank Sensor Make:
    Crank Sensor Model:

Cam Sensor Make:
    Can Sensor Model:

Boost Control Valve Make:
    Boost Control Valve Model:
    Boost Control Valve Freq:

If there are any errors can you please let me know.

So far I have found next to no info regarding the crank or cam sensors, or the type of trigger pattens used.

I am hoping that the crank is the standard bosch 60-2 trigger patten, and the cam is a half moon.

If anyone has any pictures of the back of the flywheel or the sensor end of the cam, please do post pictures.

Or if anyone here has access to an Oscilloscope, a waveform would be grate.

Any info you can give me would be so helpfull.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Crank sensor is a vr sensor. This is is the waveform. And is a 60-2 wheel. Not sure of the trigger settings. I'm sure someone who has done it can help. May be the same as an ABF.

[​IMG]

You can use MS for boost control with a N75 valve but may be easier to use a standalone unit.

3. Mad Professor New Member

tshirt2k: Thanks for your reply.

As this is a bosch system I was 90% sure it would be the 60-2 Trigger patten.

The next step it to work out the crank trigger "Tooth #1 Angle (deg BTDC)" needed for the MS2-Extra settings, once again as this is a bosch system it should be 114deg.

I have been bench testing a few of the parts from the engine.

Here is the coil charge time vs voltage for the COPs (Coil On Plugs)

VW 058 905 105 (Bosch 0 040 100 013)
    15.00 Volts = 02.75ms Dwell.
    14.50 Volts = 02.90ms Dwell.
    14.00 Volts = 03.05ms Dwell.
    13.50 Volts = 03.20ms Dwell.
    13.00 Volts = 03.45ms Dwell.
    12.50 Volts = 03.60ms Dwell.
    12.00 Volts = 03.95ms Dwell.
    11.50 Volts = 04.30ms Dwell.
    11.00 Volts = 04.55ms Dwell.
    10.50 Volts = 04.85ms Dwell.
    10.00 Volts = 05.55ms Dwell.
    09.50 Volts = 06.40ms Dwell.
    09.00 Volts = 07.80ms Dwell.
    08.50 Volts = 08.35ms Dwell.
    08.00 Volts = 10.00ms Dwell.
    07.50 Volts = 10.70ms Dwell.
    07.00 Volts = 11.60ms Dwell.
    06.50 Volts = 12.90ms Dwell.

So a cranking Dwell of 4.0-4.5.
    and a running Dwell of 3.0-3.1.

The above readings are on a used coil, so a new coil may differ.

Best Regards.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  4. Mad Professor New Member

Is the crank trigger wheel part of the flywheel or and extra part of the crank, like in this picture.

Picture borrowed from brookster's 16v post.
    [​IMG]

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

1.8T 20v engine carry a 60-2 trigger wheel attached to the PTO end of the crank via 3 screws fastened to the last counterweight in loctite. The pickups on these are via a variable reluctance sensor.

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

looks to technical for me i just threw some settings in the ecu then let toyotec fix it once i got it running lol

7. bertelli_1 Forum Member

I'm running an AGU in my Mk2 on megasquirt, I've probably done around 10k miles in it so its properly sorted now. There is loads of info on my website, do a google search for 'conrod'

8. Mad Professor New Member

I have come across the conrod site a few times wile looking for info regarding running the AGU engine on megasquirt.

From memory you are or was running MS1-Extra, and running ford coil pack then moved onto audi coil pack.

But don't recall if you was using the stock crank trigger or using a ford crank trigger mounted to the pully.

9. bertelli_1 Forum Member

I use the OEM crank trigger (60-2), you do not need the cam sensor. The stock intake & coolant sensors can be used but you will need to adapt the settings using easytherm. If you choose to use 4 coils be careful, there is a guide on one of the ms pages regarding vw coils. There seem to be few people who have them running sucessfully & they don't tend to be very reliable.

10. Mad Professor New Member

I have already tested the stock COPs charge rate vs voltage, as can be seen in my 1st post.

I have to use Crank & Cam, as I am going to be running full sequential injection and cops.

11. bens_cab Forum Junkie

you will need the AEB one window cam angle sensor disc most other 18t engine codes used a different type which wasnt not usable with megasquirt iirc

12. Toyotec

Good data on establishing a dwell vs supply voltage for the COP unit.
    As Ant was suggesting it is not about having the correct dwell time, for forward breakaway primary voltage, with VW amplified COP that is the problem. It is the fact that heat kills the driver circuit in the coil pack. And I can assure you that the top of the cam cover does get to over 150 deg C enough to melt the soldered junctions. The requirements for running sequential injections are not related to WOT pwr/tq. It is more of a fuel economy/emission action. This is why, from my perspective, older non cat vehicles running a wasted spark arrangement and grouped/batched injetion with a 4 tower coil pack will still deliver the desired power/tq, fuel economy and drive function to not warrent running a MS2. All this is subject to having a good calibration.
    If you do a search in this forum you would find lots of infomation on integrating a SEM to a 20v engine. Some of the infomation used on other vw engines can be used.
    The cam sensor on these are a hall unit.

13. bertelli_1 Forum Member

I didn't read your post properly. I see what you are trying to achieve but but as toyotec has stated running full sequential isn't necessary & you may be adding complication just for the sake of it. However you do seem to had a good grasp on what is required. If memory serves, at 2500rpm only 30% of the fuel is squirted while the inlet valve is open so most is sitting in the port before the valve opens, therefore at higher revs having full sequential is pointless (as stated it is mainly for emmission reasons).

14. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

114 degrees are you sure?
    my dta thinks its at 87 degrees btdc

15. bertelli_1 Forum Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. Toyotec

On VAG 4 cylinders 037, 058 and 06A blocks, TDC is at tooth 14 or 70 Deg CA. You can trigger an ignition event or up to 60 or so CA degs after this point, hence the table posted by Ant.
    You then have another trigger piont 180 CA after for cyl# 2 and 3 in th same manner.

17. Mad Professor New Member

badger5: I have worked on a few other cars with bosch based EFI and they have been around 114deg, tooth 19 under the sensor when the engine is at TDC.

87deg that would be tooth 14.5.

Toyotec: You say tooth 14 under the sensor at TDC, so that would be 84deg.

I will confirm that before I try to fire up the engine.

Thanks again for your time.

18. Toyotec

I do not know how you arrived at 84CA, not that MT GUI works with CA for trigger points, it is in teeth with a starting offset to allow for the maximum advance that may be run in the calibration. However as Ant just displayed and I have inspected for myself, these VW engines have tooth 14 as the TDC point.

Let us now how you get along.

19. HidRo Forum Member

Will have to check this!
    This will be my ballpark in a couple months I hope! :lol:

20. bens_cab Forum Junkie

ants figures are the same as whats in my ecu which has been running the car since 2005 without any issues