Meguiar's or AutoGlym?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Tony20VTurbo, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

HI All

A while back i bought the complete Autoglym pack which contained everything and i have to say its a great pack, especially the glass cleaner, its the best one in the world!

HOWEVER....reading up on alot of car cleaning threads on this site over the past few months its seems the general consensus is to use Meguiars cleaning products

Do more people use Meguiars cleaning products over Autoglyms as they find its better?

2. paul7278 Forum Member

im a valeter and ive used various products over the years including autoglym and meguiars. and id say meguiars just has the edge and its a bit more pricey but like the good old saying goes you get what you pay for? Meguiars gold class polish is awesome and so easy to use and smells like bubblegum. I do my red mk2 every week end in it and it brings it up a treat. and the trim detailer brings up the black archs and bumpers a treat.

3. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

Cheers Paul

i will try Meguiars from now on

i realised that when i went to Edition 38, everyone was using Meguiars for the Show & Shine event so it must be good

As part of the Meguiars kit, what are the essential bits needed?

by the way i have just found the best cleaning guides for using Meguiars products on a different VW forum

polishing and waxing:
    http://www.decked-dubs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=180

general cleaning:
    http://www.decked-dubs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64

clay bars:
    http://www.decked-dubs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77

WOW!!

4. noms2000 Forum Member

AutoGlym and Meguiars are both meant to be the "Kings" of car cleaning. But how about Mer?

5. Bundles Forum Junkie

Autoglym is great and i get some pretty good results with it. Going to try megs once I've run out of glym though.

My dad swears by mehr, he wont touch, or even entertain touching anything else.

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

As a general rule,and if you arent too fussed about really bringing the paint up from scratch...

Autoglym super resin polish=good for paint suffering from swirl marks etc and for tired to good paint.

Meguiars polishes are a little better used on already 'decent' paint.

Neil.:)

7. madmonkey Forum Addict

What about Zymol? I've got some and I thought it was always good stuff, hardly hear of it being mentioned anymore.

Fashion maybe?

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

zymol is awesome. I haven't touched any of my autoglym stuff since I bought some zymol products.

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

The zymol waxes are very good:thumbup:

10. madmonkey Forum Addict

Thinking about it, I guess Zymol is the daddy, but some of the prices they charge! Pfft!:o

Suppose there's not quite the range in the "affordable" bracket.[:s]

Hats off to the peeps who do buy the good stuff though.:thumbup:

11. PAD

Pad Forum Member

I use Zaino, pretty awesome stuff as well, also have used Meguiars and Autoglym, cant get on with AG - if you nip over to www.detailingworld.com you will get a wealth of information fairly quickly. Not many on there using Autoglym I dont think but an awful lot using Meguiars/Zymol/Zaino etc..., that says enough to me.

HTH,
    Pad

12. paul7278 Forum Member

just lookd at those links tony good bit of info. and yeh meguiars does do what you see in those pictures. i used that 3 step then used megs gold class polish. I have just started a collection of megs products including the big bag they sell which folds away nicely in your boot. its worth the and should last a while. good luck with the polishing!

13. DubSi Forum Member

My "cleaning tub" consists of;
    Megs towel wash mitt
    Megs water magnet
    Megs NXT shampoo
    Megs scratch-x
    Megs step 1 paint cleaner
    Megs step 2 polish
    Megs step 3 wax
    Megs gold class wax
    Megs NXT wax
    Megs applicator pads
    Megs tyre gel
    Autoglym bumper care :o

............Yes i prefer Meguiars ;)

14. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I am currently using the complete autoglym cleaning kit and Halfords special advanced foruma car shampoo (which is actually pretty good value for money).

Routine is:

Wash wheels (2 buckets)
    Wash car (4 buckets)
    Take car round block then dry off remaining water
    Super resin polish (once every 5 washes)
    High gloss polish
    metal polish wheels

and the only megs product I currently use is the hot n shine tyre spray stuff, which is actually really good!!

Tried to buy the megs clay bar the other day but my local halfrauds dont seem to sell it which is rather gash.

Will slowly be converting to megs, as and when the autoglym starts running out.

15. EADubber Forum Member

i use a mix of megs and glym products i'd also recommend 3m Finesse

16. Matt G Forum Member

i got some free mcguires with a subscription to golf+ mag-i buy thew mag every month anyway so it truly was a bonus.

17. Angelstorm New Member

Hi!

All of our cars (V5 Bora, Mk 1 Golf GTi Cab, Nugget G60 Corrado and Blue G60 Corrado) are regularly treated with Swissol - seems to do the trick! Zymol would be my second choice though!

Have heard Meguiars is good, but not got round to using it yet.

18. nealey Forum Junkie

im using autoglym at the minute, its ok and does the job well enough for me but my next door neighbour uses meguiars on his cars and i must say the finish afterwards is brilliant so once my autoglym starts to run out i will be converting to meguiars!!!!!

19. Golden Forum Junkie

I've been using the NXT spray polish recently and have to say I'm very impressed with it so far!

20. mexicorich Forum Member

Autoglym is hopless on my tired Mk1 paint. Need to use it every two days! Clearly gives next to no protection.
    Zymol is soooooooo much better!
    And Pigbladder taught ne about Klasse products
    Mer is abrasive so you'll end up with no paint one day if you keep using that