Mercedes wheels on a VW, WHY? (Controversial post warning)

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by HAMI, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Is it just me, or does it seem the 'dub scene' seems to be the only ones spending alot of time tracking down the best wheels, taking them from old cars and refurbing them.. Whereas the majority of other cars just seem to get the first wheels they like from a catalogue/halfords?

I do agree with you that the whole name throwing is used far too much. Wheels are just that - wheels. Who really cares what they come off, as long as they fit the styling of the car they're going on.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah... most scenes are about aftermarket wheels. a lot of the time its just a case of fitting any old tat

3. N/B

N/B Forum Member

I wouldn't say so - I think other 80's German car enthusiasts (BMW And Mercedes-Benz in particular) revel in tracking down and restoring period BBS / RH / Ronals etc.
    E30s and E28s look f'ing terrible sitting on some new Fox / BK Racing monstrosities, and the E30 crowd even get *****y about Alpina replicas.
    It also just so happens that Mercs look bloody awful on BBS 'basketweave' designs, and suit a more solid rim design - most of which were made by Mercedes, O.Z. (for AMG) or Speedline.

A certain exception to that BBS rule is this particular car, that some of you may have seen at shows.
    It started out like this:

[​IMG]

and now looks like this:

[​IMG]

Not my cuppa really, but devotion nonetheless.

I do think the Golf 'scene' is much more alive in terms of total body restorations than pretty much any other non-exotic car. The number of bare-metal build threads on this forum alone is staggering, and there are very, very few people contemplating doing the same to Mercedes 190s just yet.
    A few track car projects here and there, but nothing near the level of stuff I see on CGTI.
    Which is why I lurk about, toying with the idea of buying a Mk2 GTI or a Caddy!

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i absolutely hate after market alloys, they just look so tacky. I have even gone off ronal turbo's and the like which I used to not mind....

Fitting some OE wheels from a different model/make car looks lots better as long as they suit it.

I really want to get a MK4 golf and put Audi S8 wheels on it....... [xx(] [xx(] (the execption to the rule!!! lol )

5. voteforpedro Forum Member

I don't think people are trying to trick people into thinking their car is nothing it's not...

It's not uncommon for people to debadge their car. I completely debaged my Golf. I'm keepin the Audi badges on my A4 but removed the A4 and 1.8T badges.

And in due course I will throw some Mercedes wheels on it, probably. Why? Because they're cheaper and they look good. I've had a number of sets of Merc wheels end on my watch list for ~150 and would suit my car a treat, I think.

There are only a handful of sets of Audi wheels that look good and the better ones cost a lot of money.

Additionally, I'm not going to go to the trouble of removing the Merc emblem from the centre caps.

Personally I don't see a problem.

What I do have a problem with is people who slam GTI and RS4 stickers on their 1.6L petrol piddlers!

6. N/B

N/B Forum Member

I agree, the majority do.
    However, proper motorsport stuff like Compomotive, Speedline, Dymag etc always, always look good.
    A purposeful simplicity that's not about bling.
    I can't ever go off Ronal Turbos, or ATS Cups on a mint basic Mk1, but certain wheels do get played-out.

The wheels have to complement the car's bodywork in order to look good.
    Back in the 80's, some tuners got it dead right. Others got it dead wrong.
    The mere mention of '3-spoke alloys' has most of us cringing.
    But tell me that Brabus didn't get this car right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HAMI Forum Member

d'ya know, i think i've finally found a car with 3 spoke's i like. those do actually look like they really suit the car. (primarily as they are on the right car. lol) :thumbup:

8. HAMI Forum Member

that CLS in the back ground is lovely. :)

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i do like cls too. the 190 seems more special for some reason though *shrug*

10. HacKage Forum Member

someone actually mentioned putting those 3 spokes on a Mk2 on Edition......

Says it all really

11. Admin Guest

a saab is the only car to pull off three spokes.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think i hate it more when you go to a show or a meet and there are loads of cars with the same wheels

ie mk3 on tt comps = done to death

13. N/B

N/B Forum Member

High praise indeed!
    Most Merc folk I know agree that the CLS is easily the best-looking Benz of the past decade, SLR included. I like them, but those Kahn 21s are a couple of inches too far.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the wheels are a bit "gangsta rap" etc

15. voteforpedro Forum Member

There's a better word I think you know.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

does balling also mean crap? [:D]

17. kells Forum Member

yeah iv never got why people put Audi S line/ RS badges etc on VW's...that is a daft thing to do

18. kells Forum Member

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

kells are you are wrong

hth

20. kells Forum Member

nah they look wack, not gonna say i like them just to fit in, i never have liked 3 spokes, and im not about to start now, and to boot those are possibly one of the worse 3 spoke wheels i ever saw, look like Saab 900 turbo wheels to me lol

once again, sorry [:s]