Metering Heads

Discussion in 'Engines' started by veedubnutz, Oct 23, 2003.

1. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Im concerned that the metering head on my turbo'd motor isnt pulling its weight so to speak, and not delivering enough fuel even with the 5th injector running on boost. I waould like something more suited to the application. Have spoken to chris about a tsr motorsport one, but thats gonna cost an arm and both me legs. Question is, are the 16v ones any different on fuel delivery? If so, do you think it would be worth trying one on the 8v, if it will fit at all? Cheers

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

There isn't much to go wrong in the metering head, only the plunger sticking sometimes.
    It probaby won't run any better with a 16v item.

The mixture for the different rev ranges is more to do with the cone shape where the air flap sits. Different engines get different angle slopes etc.

You've be better of getting a K-star to control the fueling with a decent map for it.

3. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I currently have a 5th injector setup for enrichment. How does a k-star work then? I dont know that much about modifying the k-jet injection setup. [:^(]

4. evozippy Forum Member

Get an uprated fuel pump(race spec);)

5. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I was thinking of changing the pump actually. But then was told the k-jet pump would be adequate. [:^:]

6. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Does the 8v have a WUR?

If it does then you can get it modded to strengthen your mixture under load a bit more than it already does. If you don't have a WUR already, you you might think bout making a b*****dized metering head, using the 8v cone and the 16v mtering unit, allowing you to plug a WUR in??

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be cheaper than a K-Star, or other options (KE-Jet/Digifant replacement for the K-Jet).

7. Dub20vt Forum Member

K-jet fuel pump will be well up to the job... they can push out over 7bar if required!

8. evozippy Forum Member

yeah but when you are running five injectors will it be able to keep up [:s] As the number of litres per hour it can pump matters.

9. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

The 5th one is only used on boost - oh sorry that means all the time!!!!

10. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Shimming the fuel pressure regulator (on the metering head) can increase the overall system pressure, which might improve performance.

The Audi WUR has a vacuum takeoff to richen up th mixture on WOT (regular 8v WUR is just a glorified choke)- I'm sure this could be bodged to work on full boost.

11. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Ive shimmed the FPR, didnt do a lot. Im more concerned its going to become a problem when i go to 1 bar

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Did you check the system and control pressure after shimming and if so what was the difference ???

13. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

So do you know that you deffo need extra fuel?? Have you had it on a rolling road, or is it getting hot and pinking alot.

You can shim the metering head and mod the WUR but it'll richen the whole rev range and you'll probably use too much fuel when cruising etc.

The K-star monitors engine speed and load (vacuum). From these inputs it can open one (or more) injectors to suit fueling needs.

The mechanic/programmer/mapper bloke chucks the car on a rolling road and looks at the air/fuel ratio every 500rpm up the range and at different loads. He works out how much to open the extra injector(s) to get your 14:1 air fuel ratio (or richer if required) and then programms it into the unit with his laptop and software.

The beauty is that you get the correct fuel all the time, if done properly

Oh yeah, it also controls the ignition as well, so it can be retarded if pinking is evident. Again at 500rpm invervals.

14. oakgreenbeastie New Member

Ive been led to believe that if you increase the pressure, you weaken the mixture, and if you lower the pressure it strengthens the mixture, something to do with atomisation of the fuel, ie at higher pressure, the fuel is atomised more causing a weak mixture

veedubnutz, you could always use a metering head off a saad turbo (if you could find one)as they used k jet systems on the early ones, or a porsche one, but i priced one up and it was expensive. You could also try a metering head off a 5 cylinder bmw that used to run k jet too

But your best bet is k star, it will run your kjet and is a stand alone system that maps your fuelling so it is good for turbo conversions on k star

I was building the same sort of thing in a mk1 , but now i have got hold of a G60 management system and all the sensors so I'm now going to use a remapped G60 ecu on a digifant based engine

If you need any help email me matey

15. Rallye Forum Junkie

why dont you look into swaping over to a G60 management?

16. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I suppose it all comes down to how much you want to spend really.
    Either method will work.