Mfa not working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Georgetl, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Georgetl New Member

Hi all first post here, recently bought a mk2 golf gti 8v which needs a bit of tlc

one of the issues I’ve been scratching my head over is the instrument cluster / mfa

the MFa doesn’t work at all, no read out no lights nothing. The fuel gauge seems vague, and very slow to give a reading (is this normal?) and the temp gauge only ever gets to 1/4.

I’ve taken the instrument cluster out and there’s nothing that appears broken or damaged. I’ve checked the earth on the rocker cover as some people have suggested. Rev counter and speedo work fine. Not really sure what to try now if anyone’s got any suggestions??

2. daNpy Forum Member

Speedo works on 12V and coil signal, so you've got mass and power I'd say.

Is the display also not working?

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  4. Georgetl New Member

the display doesn’t work no, everything else seems ok on the panel, I’ve shorted the connector from the temp sender and the gauge does work and all the other gauges and lights work so it seems to be the display that is the issue. I may open the cluster up and see if I can find anything

5. daNpy Forum Member

6. Georgetl New Member

So I’ve had another look at my cluster, but confused as the pcb says vdo as does the speed gauge but the rev counter says Moto meter?? Not really sure what’s going on there but does anyone know if the vdo clusters are repairable or am I wasting my time? It’s a post 90 single plug cluster

7. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I would suggest that the lcd display is shot They are replaceable.

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

NateS2 Is an absolute whizz with these bloody things and loves his mk2 overdubs.
    We just need to find him
    He sorted my 86 GTI last year

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the 90spec MK2 GTI cluster parts are all interchangeable so its no problem if you have a missmatch. the motometer control board inside is different design to VDO, but all the connections etc are in the same place so there is no problem say fitting a VDO GTI 8v main board, motometer blue ribbon, motometer MFA vacuum unit etc

daNpy likes this.
  10. rubjonny

All the 'motometer' clusters I have in my bits box have VDO main boards inside, but still have motometer foils, faces and vac units on the back. I didnt know there even was a specific motometer board until Nate posted about the one he found a fix for :lol:

11. Georgetl New Member

Thanks for all your reply’s I’m working through what I think it could be.

I’ve disassembled the instrument cluster which looks to be a VDO board as Johnny says, can’t see anything untoward, tested what I believe to be the 5v voltage reg (difficult to tell as it’s mounted upside down) and I’m getting 2.5v. So I’m thinking this could maybe be the culprit but as everything else on the instrument cluster works I’m kind of thinking maybe not.

I have ordered a new screen as mine has a bleed anyway but even still I’d assume it would still display something if there was no issue with the board??

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  12. daNpy Forum Member

I would replace the voltage reg if it puts out half of what it should.

13. Georgetl New Member

Replaced the lcd screen this morning and just like that I have a working mfa!

thanks everyone for your help

daNpy likes this.
  14. Turbolader New Member

Hi, hopefully you can help with a similar issue. The lads who are helping rebuild my MK2 GTI have re-assembled the clocks with a new screen that I provided, but it looks as though there's an issue with the screen or the circuit. Would anyone be able to provide some advice on this please? (the clicking is me pressing the MFA button as you can probably guess).

Thank you

15. rubjonny

looks like the creen hasnt quite seated properly, or maybe its the wrong screen for your cluster version. I see you have 90spec clocks, double check with the seller its the right on. iirc mostly they are for pre-90 but its been a while since I looked

Turbolader likes this.
  16. Turbolader New Member

Great, thank you - I didn't realise there was a difference. I will try and find out. It's so long since I bought that screen that it could be for either.

17. rubjonny

may just be simple as reseating the rubber connector thingies, or might be slightly off. they're a bit fiddly especially the aftermarket type