Mig welder question!

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by 16vCorrado, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Rallye_Will Forum Member

I've got a Clarke 150te and have had no issues with tripping/fuses either...

2. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

mines an old clarke hobby mig with 4 settings + wire speed etc and I converted it to run a larger sized "pub" gas bottle full of Co2. works a treat :)

used a full size co2 reg and a length of pipe. 1 end has a joining piece small enough for the hobby mig gas pipe to screw into and the other had one big enough to fit the reg. about 4quid + the cost of the reg from my local welding supply and the Co2 pop bottle will last forever [:D]

but I did spot one small flaw in you're plan...

...blue book states 3mm minimum for tube wall and reinforcing material etc.... please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Clarke give the best value for money for the budget end of the range, SIP have issues with the wire-feed though this can be fixed - but if you're buying new why give yourself extra hassle. For auto welding you need as good a control over the current as possible, so extra points for more adjustments - the lower current jobbies like the Pro90 have 4 current settings, the bigger ones like the 150 have 6 settings - plus it's got more grunt for the odd garden gate, fire-iron or whatever else you take to welding.

Co2/argon mix is better for cars as the arc is a bit cooler and you get less spatter.

4. F2 Stu Forum Member

Once had the displeasure of using a one of those little 240v mig sets with only 3 power settings, got terribly frustrated with it along with the erratic wire feed, still I managed to coax a decent weld ot of it, 150amps is far too heavy handed for car applications but try and get something with a fine adjustment on the power.

5. barny Forum Member

6. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Rubbish tbh :thumbup:

7. smegger New Member

welding forum

i have a clarke 160t good little bit of kit, but the mig forum wil give u more than enough info!

pm a guy weldequip for good deals! will beat MM prices.