milltek exhaust problem

Discussion in '8-valve' started by paultownsend, Aug 11, 2008.

1. paultownsend Forum Member

i have a mk2 milltek 8v system fitted to my golf with now these mods-

flowed manifolds
    newman 268
    big valve head 40/35

when the engine was completely standard, the exhaust sounded very subtle. but now im thinking theres an increase of gasses being pumped out the engine. and its certainly louder!

now its completely sealed, but especially on start up, its quite noisy from underneath the car, around the 1st silencer. from manifold to silencer its a 2" diameter, but from then it increases to 2.25 (16v spec) or maybe even 2.5" the actaul sound out the back is bearable, its just underneath. sounds like a panza tank!

im thinking its the gasses whirrling around in the 1st box, and just not being able to fill it at idle, as its definately not leaking.

iv phoned a few reputable companies, and of course there trying to sell me their custom systems, and i juat can afford it again. so im thinking 2 options.

* i get a custom pipe made taking out the 1st silencer, 2" in diameter mating to the milltek 2nd box. but would this be too loud out the exit pipes?

* exhaust systems from vw aren't too pricey with club discount, so a custom 1st pipe again, with an oe middle and back box. but would this give enough flow and breath enough?

Paul

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008