Mk 2 Conversion...

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dan the Gti Man, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Dan the Gti Man New Member

hey guys, new on here so thought id post this.

in need of help

bin reading a few forums now and im seriously contemplating converting my Mk 2 and putting in a nice TT lump (1.8t)

wondering has anyone done this, thinking of doing it or knows anyone that has done it.

could do with abit of an insite in just exactly what i would have to do for it to fit, and actually be able to get insured on it.

cheers guys

2. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

Take a look on the qpeng website for a fitting guide.

when it comes to engine management you've got the choice of using the ecu that comes with the engine or any of the various aftermarket ones.

the qpeng system is probably the easiest to fit but not cheap and not as flexable as others for any modifications.

take a look at the engine management section on here for the various arguements for and against each setup.

3. turbotommy Forum Member

Loads of people have done this,there are different ways of doing it and the engine specs/management vary a bit too.
    My advice is do LOTS & LOTS of research 1st and be 100% sure of the way you want to do it before you start spending money.
    Peoples opinions differ on the subject too when it come to management,gearing etc... and i have mine.
    What WON'T differ is it will cost quite alot of money (probably more than you think) and take some time to do it right.
    Ask your self EXACTLY what you want & expect from the conversion and don't go chasing big numbers till you've been in one (it will spur you on mind)
    Having said that,a " well sorted" mk2 20v running a k03s turbo punches WELL above its weight.
    BMW M3's will not worry one (although it'll worry them lol) and you will think every penny was well spent.

4. Dan the Gti Man New Member

heyy thnks guys for both you help, im going to start looking into it in the new year when hopefully will have some money. but yh im going to start researching it i think and see wht i can come up with. thanks again guys will let you know what come off it x

5. eire20vt Forum Member

I agree on the money part, you'll spend way more than you ever imagined!!

6. Dan the Gti Man New Member

what about buying a GTi engine out of say a mark 4 or 5 and fitting that with a turbo?