MK 2 Golf Build

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Spooby, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Spooby New Member

I'm sorry if this is a subject that has been beaten to death before, but if it has please provide links. I am looking into the possibilities of upgrading the 1.8L 8v engine in my 1992 golf into something a little more fierce. I've seen a lot of information on different builds and swaps, but there is a problem of there being too much information out there, and so many different engine builds by VW.

To start off, can anyone tell me if the 1992 1.8L 8v engine is a good starting point to build on, could it be converted to a 16v or 20v with a head swap; or would this be better served by a full on engine swap to one of the newer VW/Audi engines?

I'm looking to squeeze a lot of horsepower of the little 1.8L, and adapt it to a turbocharged setup with forged pistons, rods, etc.

Any info on the subject is appreciated!

2. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Don't bother adapting an na engine. The 20v turbo is simple but costs to do it right are not. If anyone says buy an engine for 600 and stick it in have not really done it.

I've got a 1.8t in my mk2. Engine was 600 build ended up 16k. It kind of just snowballs. But by **** I love it. Great for the commute shops and then when you fancy it's mental fun.

3. Spooby New Member

skydivebaz,

So I get at that you are saying a 1.8t swap is a better idea than changing out the head and turbocharging the stock engine? Does a 1.8t swap entail buying a complimentary transmission as well?

4. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

You can bolt it direct to your gearbox but boost wise might not last. Go to qpeng website there is a full how to on there. I run a qpeng ecu and loom n down pipe on dual boost and I find it flawless ...

5. Spooby New Member

I've visited the Qpeng website, and it has a great amount of information. If I understand it correctly, then a better clutch should be able to shoulder the burden of extra power, but correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that.