OPEN Mk 3 16 v anniversary GTI.

Discussion in 'Temporary, New forum requests/bugs' started by Kelvin Price, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Kelvin Price New Member

Good morning and thanks for your latest e mail. If I forward to you problems concerning my GTI golf would you be kind enough to peruse the problem and comment on a way forward? I am now almost devoid of where we go from here.
    I own a 1996 Mk 3 VW Golf GTI .It is the 2.0 litre 16 valve anniversary model . I have owned it for 10 years and the recorded mileage is just short of 30,000. I am not able to validate the mileage but I am told by my mechanic that it is believed to be accurate. Indeed the engine has always been the strong part of the car and has run without fault.
    A few months ago the car developed a problem. When driving around town and conservatively it functioned fine, however when asking the car to accelerate when it achieved 3000 revs it began to stutter quite badly. To my completely lacking knowledge It appeared to suggest a fuel shortage.
    My mechanic had the car in his workshop and we discussed the issue. Initially we changed the fuel filter, carried out a diagnostics check, carried out an intensive fuel system cleaning procedure, removed and cleaned the fuel pump, drained the complete fuel system, clean the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter and refilled the tank with top rated fuel. The car retained the same problem.
    The next step was to replace the Distributor cap, rotor arm H T leads and coil. Again there was no improvement.
    The next step was to remove the ECU which was sent away for testing. The unit was returned after test and some minor attention. For two weeks the GTI performed without fault and when pushed to 5000 revs was superb. After the two weeks the problem returned and was as bad as ever.
    The ECU was again sent off for testing and the result was that the unit is in good order.
    The next proposal is to dissemble the dash remove the clocks etc and send them to the test ECU people to connect up and run/test on their premises at their suggestion.
    I am currently waiting for the clocks to be removed and sent off.
    I am not a mechanic and we are at a loss as to what the problem is and how to resolve it.
    Can you offer any suggestions / opinions as to what the problem may be and how to correct it.
    Thanks in advance Kelvin Price.

2. zippo New Member

Good morning, check the wiring harness behind the inlet manifold going to the throttle body. It sometimes fries and shorts out.

3. Kelvin Price New Member

Thanks zippo I will pass on your observation to my mechanic next week.