Mk 3.5 mk4 Golf no crank, G28 sensor fault code, stall when cold

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by ambrose89, Apr 26, 2021.

1. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Thank in advance
    Car : mk3.5 vw golf cabriolet, 2000/w, 80,000m
    No issues apart from every few months it might start then die instantly (fine once cranked started a second or 2 later.
    2 weeks ago for MOT I replaced the clockring (this having been diagnosed by local auto electrician) then auto electricain cleared latched on airbag fault light for me. so all good.

1 week/approx 50miles later on 3 consequtive days:
    start from cold, drive for approx 1 mile engine just dies (like dead electrics)
    1st 2 days cranks and fires back up within a min or 2 then fine afterwards.
    3rd day, start from cold, dies, cranks but dont fire up again. typically this is when I'm in the fast lane on a dual carriageway.

AA called, upon arrival my battery now a bit flat from attempts to crank- towed to safe location.
    AA guy sticks jump pack on battery, cranking but not firing.
    plugs in diagnostic, and starts fishing around in fuseboard area using multimeter & cable links(fuse inline).

Initially I believe he was getting connection via ODB port, but he later exclaimed he couldn't.
    Also now the engine would not crank, key switch gave no sign off life crankwise. (starter is good(I proved this/linked live to it).
    Eventually had to be towed home and dropped there.

Fuel pump relay is closing/pump priming (i can hear this), proving ignition switch.
    Not getting any crossover in continuity when flexing cables to crank sensor
    Using a neighbours cheap fault reader it shows G028 Engine Speed Sensor.
    Ecu pins look clean n shiny.
    All fuses good.

Questions:

1. Has AA bloke added to faults (induced not cranking?) maybe by linking something/wiping ECU? (apologies in advance to recovery men out there- not wishing to apportion blame just trying to get it fixed)- I've msgd him politely asking what he was doing (i assumed fuel pump/control relay proving) but no response.
    2. does the G028 code result from lack of signalliing from ECU or a real fault of engine speed sensor?

3. initial fault would this be caused by engine speed sensor/ auto electrician(sorry autoelectricians ! )/ cable/sensor age?
    4. how do i fix myself (cheaply) ?
    5. relay positions/numbers -photo of fuseboard anyone? (the haynes for this model is crap/brief, and no RJ FAQ for mk3.5 fuseboard :( )

BTW- I've cocked the odd thing up myself in the past so understand mistakes do happen and am fairly chilled about this, so not trying to point fingers/ slander good tradesmen.
    Any help appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. unlikely since you were able to link it later using another cable and pull the G28 code
    2. some ecu will flag this if you scan them engine not running, but as yours is later model dont think yours will do this
    3. could be any of those, but if all the autoelectrician did was scan and clear a code this wont have been down to him
    4. depends what the fault is ;)
    5. only important ones for engine are ecu relay slot 3, #30 and fuel pump bottom right slot 12 #67, 80 or 167

when you say clockring, what exactly do you mean?

from your symptoms I would say its crank sensor, immobiliser may allow engine to start then cut out but it wont affect the car again after that so if its cutting out at speed its not immobiliser. Well, the factory fitted immobiliser anyway, if its had an aftermarket unit wired in then this could be playing up. since it struggles to even crank its possible your ignition switch has started to go faulty, it may be able to supply enough to trigger low amp feeds such as relay coils but not enough to give you a nice reliable spark from coil. When the engine cuts at speed do the clocks go dead and come back on briefly (coolant warning light flash up for example)

to rule out wiring issues unplug the ignition switch and loop a wire from red to red/black, starter should crank. you can loop a wire from red to black to switch on the ignition also with that in place you can test how easy it starts. Also if you source a new ignition switch rather than change it right away can just plug it into the loom and turn with screwdriver to do longer term testing to ensure its really the cause.

the ecu relays can go bad as well, they're cheap from VW. to bypass for testing you can loop a wire like this:
    ecurelaybypass.jpg

ambrose89 likes this.
  3. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Thanks Rubjonny.
    I will take this info and work through some of your suggestions in the next few days (reporting back on here for future reference).

Airbag Clockring/clock spring is a doughnut slip ring that sits under the steering wheel/over the steering column providing electrical contact via the brass ring (for horn?) and a lead that plugs into the airbag ignitor in the steering wheel airbag/other end plugs into connector plug near indicator stork.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123487630732?fits=Model:Golf|Plat_Gen:MK+III&hash=item1cc06fb58c:g:d8MAAOSw3BJb6wmT

Q. When the engine cuts at speed do the clocks go dead and come back on briefly (coolant warning light flash up for example)
    A. didnt notice clocks, it seems like its been switched off/on - Oil and Battery lights lit.

Also if you source a new ignition switch
    I've got a 90 spec mk2 golf steering column/ignition switch in shed - would that be usable ?

AA bloke has gotten back to me and suggested checking fuseboard/internal power rails as he was getting intermittant supply/continuity when he was testing it/ dead battery wouldn't do this ?
    I've got a spare CE2 FB in shed I can swap if reqd.
    I will check FB feeds.

Luckily after a quick once over the Caddy glided through its MOT, having been parked 2 years, so she's my wheels while the ragtop is sick.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  4. rubjonny

ah ok, so that'll be unrelated most likely. was wondering if it was the immobiliser key reader you were referring to thats all.

if it seems the cluster is resetting at the same time then I'd look at ignition switch, mine went intermittent on the motor way and went thru phases of switchign ignition off-on-off-on-off-on every now and again. not much fun :lol:

a mk2 90spec ignition switch will work yep, can just plug it into your ignition loom and try it for a couple days see how it is, what the AA man says seems to confirm you're having problem with ignition power out the switch. it could be the main live from battery or battery itself I guess, but this would make the clock time reset at the same time so I recon that side is ok

5. rubjonny

might be your ignition loom has had some bodgery in the past and maybe got disturbed when the clock ring was looked at, so thats worth a checkover while you're under there. the mk2 golf ce2 ignition loom will swap right over as well, assuming thats any better. the stalk looms are mostly the same but the one for the flasher switch is likely to be different on the cabby due to the mk4 lighting I expect.

6. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Some slight progress.
    noticed a individual fuseholder floating about (possibly alarm/immobiliser?) with a blown 5A fuse. replaced it.
    Cranked, fired, started. engine ran for a couple of minutes (just long enough to 3 poinnt turn so drivers door is now kerbside) then cut out.
    back to original fault -cranking but not firing.
    looks like AA might have shorted/blown the fuse.
    I've swapped a couple of fuel pump and ECU relays in -not noticed owt.
    Now with fault reader (IGN on) I can't obtain earlier G28 engine speed sensor, now getting immobiliser fault- not convinced.
    Rain tomorrow but will see if initial fault is replicated (starts then cuts out within 2-3mins )/ what fault codes if any.

7. rubjonny

random floaty fuse would suggest an aftermarket alarm or immobiliser yep. if you get an immobiliser code on the ecu you then scan the immobiliser box to see why its cutting in, might just be reader coil is faulty they dont last forever

8. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

So 0513 (G028) -Engine speed sensor fault code update.
    RossTech site suggests this can be several things
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16705/P0321/000801
    'When an engine will not start due to mechanical (spark/fuel/compression/timing) related issues it is not uncommon to set a false G28 fault codes due to extended cranking with a no-start condition.'

Having previously been able to crank, spark, start and run for a couple of minutes before cutting out, having let with battery disconnected for 2 weeks when i try to start it would crank but not start.
    Removed sensor (held in by m5 allen bolt) by removing front engine mount, wiggled free without much bother.

For a mk3.5 cabby 2.0 2000 this was the part (the internal part being approx 25mm long)
    https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/037906433a-crankshaft-sensor.html

Fitted and car started straight away, sounded like it was learning to idle for a few moments (?) then ok.

So it was
    1.an intermittant fault with the sensor manifesting as cutting out after a couple o minutes from cold start/ then restarting fine after cranking for a few seconds.
    2.blown fuse on immobilser caused by linking out contacts in fuseboard trying to fault find.
    3. issue 1 progressing to car not even firing.

Resolution = new crankshaft sensor.

Thanks again RJ

9. rubjonny

good news :thumbup:

ambrose89 likes this.
  10. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

update,
    2 crank sensors & 1500miles in last 12 months.
    Fault (cranking but not starting) reappeared in Jan 22. I installed another crank sensor to no avail.
    Gave up and drove the pick up for a couple of months.
    managed to get the mk3.5 started a couple of months ago (god knows how/thought it was wiggling the key a bit)
    this last fortnight driving the mk3.5 I have had 3 or 4 temporary failure to start/ eventually started episodes.
    2 days ago -cranking but failing to start.
    fuel is getting through, dizzy pins scored so new one replaced.
    Spark is getting down every HT lead to plugs, -

1. would this happen if crank sensor broke ?
    2. does cranking and spark rule out ignition switch ?
    I'll check the plug gaps next.

getting fed up having had 2 months parked then 2 months of resuming confidence in it.
    immobiliser reader spool, ignition barrel , ECU relay.-

3. any other thoughts what could give intermittant progressing to permanent crank/no fire issue ?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  11. rubjonny

get the fault codes read, if it was immobiliser it will say so then you scan immobiliser and it'll tell you why. though generally immo issue engine will fire for a few seconds then die

get a helper so you can check coil power both ignition on and cranking, the fact it started with key wiggling may point to ignition switch

ambrose89 likes this.
  12. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Thanks RJ, only have access at moment to a cheap reader of a neighbour that doesn't provide much -will have to ask him.
    medium term whats the cheapest route to Vagcom that can be used on several vehicles ?

I'm not 100% the key wiggle was the issue- it's not resolving it now.
    battery in key fob also replaced.
    Coolant sensor ordered £5.
    looking back over this thread i saw ignition switch- so today i'll dig the spare out of the shed for a try like you mentioned earlier.
    my helper is a fluke and insulation tape for crank readings .

13. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello, Ambrose,

1. would this happen if crank sensor broke ?

That's the symptom I've seen with the 'AGG' engine. Beginning with an occasional falter, even at motorway speeds, and progressing to a non-start. Unless it's left for a while, when it deigns to run for a while, until the engine begins to warm up. Enough to turn the car around, as in your case. Mine was the crank sensor, as a code (which I'm sorry I don't recall) finally admitted, after I'd changed the sensor.

If you haven't seen my contribution re. the crank sensor, I believe it produces the Rpm displayed as the 'digital tachometer' (even at cranking speed) in a special mode programmed into the instrument cluster. It certainly remained at 0 when I tried it in the non-start situation.

If you like to try this, here it is again;
    1. Switch On and wait for any service indicator to finish
    2. Make sure that Total Mileage is displayed
    3. Press and Hold Down the trip mileage reset button, while you turn the ignition Off and back On
    4. Upon releasing the trip reset, the mileage display changes to show a '1', then some figures, which depend on the cluster, and depends in turn on the engine and transmission
    5. There are eight separate functions in this mode, scrolled through by pressing trip reset. Most are fixed (as far as I can tell) but after No.5, the display test, No.6 is a distance counter advanced by the speedometer sender, and No.7 is an Rpm indication
    6. Exit simply by switching Off

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    ambrose89 likes this.
  14. rubjonny

if you have a laptop you can use the cheaper generic kkl/vagcom usb cables and download the freeware VCDS-lite software direct from the ross tech website. I'll do code reading and measuring blocks for models up to around MK4 Golf era which is all you need right now

ambrose89 likes this.
  15. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

I cant find any ignition phillips screw that a bendy screwdriver would be used on, as advised on this thread
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/changing-ignition-switch-mk2.240811/#post-2117572

Slightly ot, how'd u get the ignition barrel off mk2 90 spec steering column-with key in, tapped it a bit with hammer having removed m8 bolt. It just moves 10-15mm up n down the outer steering column.
    Have just been sat in mk3. 5 with the 2nd steering trying to Plumb it in but the car ignition loom won't stretch far enough.
    I'm scared the lump hammer will result in column ball bearings n copper race being spat out. See images. IMG_20220613_180251.jpg IMG_20220613_180234.jpg

16. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Thanks Dougie,
    I asked because I had an issue with a blown fuse in tandem with crank sensor issue 1 a year ago, resulting in it not cranking or firing.
    a 2nd sensor resulted in it working for a few months, then in Jan this year the issue arose again. so only about a thousand odd miles later.
    a 3rd sensor was put it about march this year. and issue has returned after a couple of months without issue.
    surely crank sensors dont go this often ?

anyway what really caught my eye in your response was "rpm displayed even at cranking RPM"- I've just tried this on 7 (RPM) value stays at zero while cranking.

17. rubjonny

the problem is you still have the spline adaptor on the column, that needs to come off first then ignition housing will slip off easily once the ignition lock is released

to bypass ignition unplug it and loop a chunky wire from red to black to switch ignition on, then briefly from red to red/black to get it cranking

if theres no rpm on cluster while cranking then it suggests crank sensor has gone again though, are you buying high quality parts?

ambrose89 likes this.
  18. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Thanks again RJ sorry for the silly questions.
    1. Ok so the spline adapter is removed using a puller ?
    Quality parts? - the link i posted above (topran sensor from heritage £20) cant recall if this was the first 1 I bought May 21.
    I think the last 1 Mar this year was off ebay.
    I dont think there was much difference in price (maybe heritage was a couple of quid dearer with postage)
    I've just another crank ordered from Heritage.
    And I'll give the linking ignition loom a try.

19. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Thanks again RJ sorry for the silly questions.
    1. Ok so the spline adapter is removed using a puller ?
    Quality parts? - the link i posted above (topran sensor from heritage £20) cant recall if this was the first 1 I bought May 21.
    I think the last 1 Mar this year was off ebay.
    I dont think there was much difference in price (maybe heritage was a couple of quid dearer with postage)
    I've just another crank ordered from Heritage.
    And I'll give the linking ignition loom a try.

20. rubjonny

yeah a good gear puller or sytuggle a bit with a 2/3 leg puller. if you dont care about the ignition housing just put it nose down and smack the back of it with a hammer till it comes off. if oyu dont want to damage column thread the nut on it and rest on some wood. if oyu put wood on the back of the housing where you tap it that should save it from damage

yeah you want to spend a bit more than 20, want a named brand like hella, siemens, vdo etc