mk 3 gearbox problem with reverse

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by windsurf_dude, Apr 15, 2004.

1. windsurf_dude New Member

can anyone identify what the problem with my reverse is. It whines worse than my girlfriend, and now am getting a kind of notchyness when reversing? - i know something is not right but am unsure as to what to change, ie gearbox or something else. thankyou.

2. richard New Member

youve knackered the teeth on the reverse gear needs replacing!!!! sorry mate

3. MrBen Forum Junkie

Mk3anniversary has the same problem - it's been like it for ages and doesn't cause a major issue driving it, you just have to hold it in reverse or it sometimes pops out. Eventually the gearbox will get changed, but it works fine other than reverse, and how much time do you spend going backwards!!

4. sn1paz New Member

I had the same fault and took it to a dealer, he said that the teeth were knackerd but it would last the life of the car, not often you do a 1/4 mile in reverse eh? how far do you drive backwards in a year anyways? less than a mile i expect!!