Mk1 1.8 turbo conversion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by daniboy123, Feb 4, 2005.

1. daniboy123 Forum Member

Just been speaking to JBS autodesigns and Dubsport about having the 220bhp audi engine installed into my mk1 gti. Basically its a case of drive the car in and pick it up about 5 weeks later with new brakes, suspension, 1.8t engine running at around 280bhp. This all comes at a price of course, JBS quoting around 8000 and dubsport around 6500. Has anyone had this conversion done or know of someone who has. Are these engines readily available and at what sort of price? How much roughly would all of the parts cost to do this conversion? Any help appreciated. I think i could fit the brakes and suspension myself but would not like to tackle the engine wiring i dont think, cheers.

2. voodooelie Forum Member

Personally, I'd try to gather all the bits you want for the conversion yourself and then shop around for the fitting!

;)

3. daniboy123 Forum Member

What parts are needed for this conversion?

4. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

or fit it yourself, its easy really, just need the time and the internet for people to help out

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

If you do a good search on here you'll get a complete list of parts

Basics: Engine, engine/dash wiring loom, fuse box, ECU, the keys that match the ECU, any engine mounts, possibly a lower pressure than Mk 1's, and of course the transmition & parts

I'm being very general, as I've never done one yet [:$]

6. kirby Forum Junkie

If you can buy the whole doner car then you will have all the parts you need and you can then break the rest of the car and sell the parts.

7. daniboy123 Forum Member

I think i would prefer to just get the parts as space is limited. Would be great if anyone could suggest what type of brake/suspension setup is needed to cope with all the extra power. Is there any fabricating involved for strengthening purposes and engine mounts? Does anyone know of where i could get hold of a 1.8t engine? So many questions!.

8. prof Forum Addict

get a quote from them that includes exactly all the parts that they intend to use then you can have a look for the parts yourself

9. K13_RAN Forum Member

i am aslo wanting to do this project in the future, are other engine
    conversions easier...i have a 1300 mk1 and would like a more powerful
    engine...can anyone shed light onto other conversions that are
    relatively simple to carry out?

sorry to kinda hijack daniboy123[:$]

10. Cossie killer New Member

HI mate check out this website its for scirrocos these are very similar in design to the mk1 golf WWW.FUNKSOULKITTY.org

11. DarkMK2 Forum Member

daniboy!

check out 03/05 issue of performance VW, it has a comprehensive step-by-step guide of a DIY conversion to a 1.820vT, although it is into a mk2, but im sure all the additional part will be much the same. it give a very good shopping list of all parts required, and where to get them from!

i think its the march issue..... its the one with the blue Vento on the cover!! ;)

hope this helps!

12. A_N_Other Forum Member

Mk1 can take pasat engine with litle or no mods - the longditudinal engine has the rigt mounts. Unfortunately manifolds don;t fit, so I would sugest a hybrid of:

1.APU Passat 20V enigne (Right mounts and big port head)
    2.AGU (Golf/3) intake syste an throttle body
    3.Audi TT/S3 K04 turbo

Clutch wil probably disitegrate so a bigger one would be best, perhaps with a cable change 'box? - Hydraulic clutch conversion or Seat mech.

Over and above there is intercooler to fit in, Merc Sprinter (cheap and fits in pretty well) or G60 (VW, but rarer) or custom (V. Pricey) Cosworth etc....

Electrics are pretty easy if you can put aftermarket management on it to ditch all of the VAG crap, but plenty of people have shoe-horned all the OEM stuff into their cars somewhere......

FYI: www.qpeng.co.uk

Obviously this is not Gospel, and I'm sure there are lots of other ways to do the sw*p. And I won't even start on Radiators........

13. ViCk Forum Member

I'm currently undergoing this conversion myself. The long based blocks from the Audi A4/ VW Passat do fit in on the original GTI mountings as said before the manifolds, oil filter housing and turbo amongst a few other bits need to be swapped from a transverse setup.

For the wiring, I'm getting my kit from www.qpeng.co.uk as your retain all the OEM parts (coilpacks, keys etc) and the loom is already modified to suit. The ECU already comes mapped to suit your application, good value for money in my book.

If your going for a cable 02A setup your gonna need the right mounts (Euroteck do them), cable linkages and the hydraulic clutch/or cable clutch mechanism.

I've heard the Sprinter intercooler does fit the Mk1, but I'm getting a custom one anyway. Your gonna have to get the turbo pipework fabricated as well as the downpipe.

14. 91davidw Forum Member

Have alook here
    Click

its a guide for a mk2 but will give you lots of info for what parts are needed

Cheers
    David