Mk1 8v or Mk2 16v gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Milkybar, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Milkybar Forum Member

I'm doing a Mk1 2.0L 16v conversion, from your experience what are the differences between using a Mk1 8v gearbox with Mk1 driveshafts and a Mk2 16v gearbox with Mk1 cabrio driveshafts?

Which would you use/recommend?

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Mk1 gearbox is very short geared and a pain on the motorway. Good acceleration though.

3. GTI

GTI Forum Member

I use a 16v gearbox. I wouldn't even consider putting an 8v gearbox on it 'cus the ratios are too short.

Mk1 driveshafts are fine, but cabby driveshafts would be a nice upgrade and should help to reduce torque steer.

4. Milkybar Forum Member

I thought you could only use Cabrio driveshafts with the Mk2 16v gearbox in a Mk1. Could you just clarify whether I'm wrong?

5. GTI

GTI Forum Member

what does a cabby use? i'll bet it isn't a mk2 16v 'box!

you can fit either driveshafts to either box ifaik, just have to swap the flanges on the box over if they are different.

6. VR6Will Forum Member

ok so heres the deal, im helping milkbar in building a mk1 16v, we are using a kr head with kr cams, 9a 2.0 block, just want peoples advice on the choice of gearbox, mate of mine has just broken his mk1 1.6 8v gti and can use that box, or another mate has mk2 16v box which we can use, alternatively we could use a cable box, what do you guys reckon, the car wont be used daily, mainly for shows/track/sprint days etc....

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

IMO use the Mk1 4K box - better acceleration, and as it's a daily driver the shorter gearing won't be an issue.

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i ran the mk1 box and the acceleration was fantastic!!
    but when it came to going to shows it wasnt nice on the motorway.
    didnt go for a valver box cos i thought id miss the acceleration,so im now using a 4t caddy diesel box and its great [:D] still has the acceleration through 1,2 3rd is great and 4,5 are noticeably longer.