Mk1 Cable Change Routing

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mk1 driver, Jan 25, 2016.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I'm looking at installing a cable shift setup in my Mk1 and raising up the shift box inside the car, this will mean that the cables will have to pass through the bulkhead.

I'm not sure how far the cables can be stripped down to enable them to fit through the smallest hole possible.

How have people gone about passing the cables through the bulkhead and what is the minimum sized hole you can get away with to push the cables through?

Cheers,
    James.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you prise up the clips all the way round the base of the gearstick you can pop off the bottom panel, then pull the cables out that way. then if you push em back thru from engine bay side to cabin you can probably make a smaller hole as you dont have to worry about squeezing the rubber bits thru. for diameter measure the holes in the gearstick they go thru, theres your size :)

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Thanks RJ, I'll take a look at the shift box when I can and see what can be done.

I noticed this on the Vortex same shift box as mine...

[​IMG]

Can the black part that attaches to the shift box be removed from the cable do you know?

4. rubjonny

I'm not sure, it looks like it in the pic? will try to take a minute to dig my cables out if I remember!

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I've gone with the big hole approach, so it's too late now for any other option lol

I couldn't work out if the black part can be taken completely off the cable, I didn't see any obvious splits in the plastic - no doubt if I probably spent a little more time on it I'd maybe find out that it does indeed come off [:$] Either way I didn't want to end up breaking the plastic and ending up two steps backwards!

I'd be happy to see if the black part can come off for future reference if anyone has done it :thumbup:

6. rubjonny

if there were no splits in it I doubt it'll come off without stripping all the heat foil, rubber strips etc and sliding it right down off the front. too much hassle for the same of making a slightly smaller hole in the bulkhead I expect :lol: