Mk1 Camber Plates

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mk1 driver, Jul 19, 2007.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Just spotted these on the Bildon website.

[​IMG]

Look fairly ideal to me, no need for cutting anything? Not sure what bearings are used but what do we reckon?

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

wow they do look quite clever & with the extra height.

I wonder if you could use longer bolts & still retain the brace.

Don't think my suspension would work? maybe coilovers only?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Almost looks like you have got coilovers, are they Koni top adjustables? It may still work with standard/uprated springs and dampers but I think with most things suspension wise, utilising coilovers brings out the performance. (I'm no expert though)

I'm fairly keen on ordering a set but I'm not sure if only being able to adjust the camber on a Mk1 is a good route? Ian used top adjustable plates (camber and castor) on his old Mk1, to what seemed to be, great effect?

Is castor adjustment a bonus on a Mk1 to get it to handle well on track?

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

yeah koni top adjustables & lowering caps with uprated top mounts

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Think its worth paying the extra and buying these instead.

[​IMG]

Allows for camber & castor. $400 USD.

Gurds

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

140 the other ones from rally design are about 50 aint they

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Rally Design ones are about 50 each plus vat.

Gurds

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Only thing with those other plates G is that the strut tops will need to be cut flat?

I'm sure a couple of the VW Cup cars only use camber only adjustment? (Probably in the regs come to think of it) i.e. the West End Precision cars.

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

No they dont need to be cut flat. You would need to cut a slot on the extreme camber position if you were to use the whole adjustment range otherwise its drill four holes and pop it in. It used to be the mk2 version that required choppng. Thats been redesigned as a bolt in application too.

Gurds

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

First pic looks fairly familiar to me to say the least. Obvious copy by Bildon of now defunct (I believe) OPM (not OMP)-originated camber plates. I have a pair myself, they used to be on the Jetta and will appear on the ex-Carvell Golf if it goes to the ‘Ring in 3 weeks.

Advantages:

1) gains you suspension travel, due to raised design, since they sit above the turret, unlike say TAS ones, which sit below the turret and lose ~8mm of suspension travel at the very least on the spot, plus what you gain with these ones.

2) enables easy camber adjustment with car on ground. Quick tracking, and off you go for another session.

Disadvantages:

1) adjusts camber only, doesn’t enable caster adjustment, which the Ground Control ones do.

2) OPM kit needed the supplied top hat spacers for the rose joint machining to fit the damn things onto the car. I assume Bildon have bothered to test them, but you never know. Minor point, easily fixed – just causes swearing to happen.

HTH

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Not sure about track work but I believe it is for the tighter `stuff` - mine is set to + 5` castor with camber at -ve 1.5` .... using coilovers and cornerweighted 6O / 40 F to R.

The entire set up was completed at one time so I `hope` the dampers were built to accomodate the loss of height.

Not driven it in anger as yet .... [:^(]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Oh yes ! ;)

In basic terms, it helps keep the negative camber when in a corner close to the static setting, it can even be set to increase camber (to a point) with more steering lock applied.

Turn-in to a corner is "much" improved and "power-on" understeer reduced.

I'm looking into getting some alloy top mounts made with a taller tower to overcome some of the issues of reduced shock travel that Chris mentioned above.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  13. Corin D CGTI Regional Host

Don't forget you can always file the stub axle where it mounts into the shock with the camber bolts and use a camber gauge to get desired angle, handy when using alloy top mounts.