Mk1 front engine mount designs GB

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by chopperoli, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Anyone fitted theirs yet? I went to install mine but not lining up. Will have to remake chassis bracket part as mount part is set a good 10mm to low. I have jacked the engine at the front to it's normal position - any further jacking results in lifting the car as the mounts have taken up all abvailable slackness

As you can see bolt hole is well off centre -

[​IMG]

update - spoke to company - they have never had the problem before and they are all jig/pattern made - so could be some weird engine pitch issue affecting mine - though the other mounts all line up and operate perfectly and the engine sits dead level.

Have a bit of 3mm stainless sheet now to remake the chassis bracket.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Slacken the rear mount and it should give you the required movement.

3. wesley Forum Member

I'd say if you do what Chris has just said everything will line up,
    I fitted my front and rear mount, everything went well, very happy

4. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Got the mount sorted - i wanted the engine to stay in orginal position without excessive tilting backwards

so...

made up a revised version from some 3mm stainless plate - fabrication company gave me a few off cuts

[​IMG]

cut out the net of the mount and then used a friend's old style folder

[​IMG]

mounted up great - no issues now! just have to save up for the rear one!

[​IMG]

5. Admin Guest

Are the rubber parts easy to source if they wear and need to be replaced?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The are sourceable, yes, but I don't think you'll have much to worry about.

7. mickey marrows Forum Member

I would humbly suggest (based on a lot of experience with these mounts etc) that if you had to modify it to fit then your engine is NOT in its original position..

8. Carbs4ever Forum Member

I had considered that mickey before fabing up the new mount... couldn't work out what would be wrong - only one way to mount the engine... however it was an easy fix.. and a great improvement over the old stubby mount...

9. danster Forum Addict

Possibly down to different engine mount inserts? The standard ones will allow some droop, where as the more solid ones with poly inserts may not drop as much.
    Also if front cross member / panel assembly has been replaced, it only takes a little misalignment to cause something like this.

I had a captive front mount on my rocco made from the rare early mk2 type. When I changed from the 4 speed box to a 5 it was well out. I put it down to differences in the ns mount sitting at slightly different heights.

10. Carbs4ever Forum Member

everything's as it should be with genuine engine mounts/inserts etc... just one of those things i suppose... sorted now anyway...

11. jettadan Forum Member

Just thought i'd pop up some pics of mine temporarily fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted perfectly, thanks very much :thumbup:

Also, just for info if anyones interested, heres some pics of the gearbox mounts i bought in Woerthersee several years ago from a bloke at the side of the road :o :lol: to fit an 02A into a MK1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

12. NicD Forum Member

Fitted mine, engine sits fine to my eye.

13. drego786 New Member

how much are the front engine mounts any way ????

14. chopperoli Forum Member

Ahhh- finally got round to fitting the front mount, and noticed the captive / weld nut is on the wrong hole.... so I have a clash at the metal water pipe, and no nut at the bottom starter motor hole. Anyone else had this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  15. Matty-Westside Forum Member

I was really pleased with mine until I fitted it. The two holes for mounting to the front panel are circular instead of oval shaped like the original part. The captive nuts on my front panel must of been just millimeters out and without the room for adjustment left and right it resulted in cross threading one of the captive nuts [:x]

[​IMG]

Wouldn't of taken much to make the two holes the same shape as the original part

Otherwise im pleased with it

16. chopperoli Forum Member

Can't quite see it in the 2nd pic above, but due to the clash I will have to cut the bracket/captive nut off the metal water pipe- leaving that unsupported. Now using a high tensile locknut on the lower bolt where the weld nut should be.

I thought the metal water pipe was common on all mk1/mk2 golf engines so I am surprised no one else mentioned this.

Chris- the suppliers might want to know so they can update their designs for future production runs

17. desnelders New Member

hello guys

i'm a belgian fan who comes to gti international every year (my pics on http://vag-editionz.be/ ) with my golf mk1 1800 8V turbo

i have been searching high and low for good engine mounts and always keep coming back to this thread... anybody can help me out, or point me in the right direction?

thanx in advance
    Ken

18. dizzydubber New Member

Is there any chance they may be another group buy? Also has there been any development with the rear mounts and can anyone confirm if they would be suitable foran 02s?
    Thanks

19. jamez Forum Member

I have also being looking for this mount without success , so i think i'll have to make one from a ford kit like this one and using the original bracket,
    and as this is for 2 sets , i could knock up a rear mount also .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/autograss-brisca-race-rally-sierra-engine-mounting-kit-/130631636829?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6a40975d#ht_500wt_1180

just seen this, pity theres a bit missing from the front mount.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-Golf-G60-Engine-conversion-mountings-/220934094637?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+I&hash=item3370b2bf2d#ht_500wt_1413

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  20. dizzydubber New Member

saw those ones on ebay, need to organise another group buy?