MK1 Golf 020 Gearbox Help

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Golfmadness, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Golfmadness New Member

Hi there not been on here for a while and I'm getting close to getting my old girl on the road again.

I'm trying to identify the year my box was produced as i believe there's 2 different filling procedures between pre 87 Boxes and later, My 020 box date doesn't make sense too me and reads FD04121 can anyone tell me what year this is?

I also have a Quaiffe diff and from what i've read it's a good idea to run the original VW supplied oil with this over something like red line MTL as this is supposed to upset the diffs operation.

Thanks for any help in advance [8D]

2. 2swe Forum Member

gearbox code FD, build date 4.12.1981

Golfmadness likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

plus the FD code wasnt made after 82 either so you're safe :) but only potential issue is if its had the 5th gear case swapped for a later version, this is the only reason the filling procedure differs
    http://www.brokevw.com/020oil.html

Golfmadness likes this.
  4. Golfmadness New Member

Ah brilliant guys cheers for the help. I'll be sure to check if the 5th gear housing has been changed.

Was the question regarding the oil to use the correct info do you know at all?. I did want to use Red line as i liked that in my 16v boxes but heard the correct Red line for my box doesn't play well with the quaife diff

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah use VW box oil for sure :)

Golfmadness likes this.