MK1 Golf GTI accumulator position?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Admin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

swirl pot goes before the pump, on a tintop gti its in the tank, on later cabby/scirocco its a plastic reservoir near the tank fed by the lift pump. as long as tyour car is fuel injection already just put your new pump in the same place as the old one and it'll be fine

2. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

my car was a 1.6 gti originally and didnt ever have a lift pump in the tank..does that sound right? it only had the plastic ball on the wire E.G the fuel sender.

Im now going to put an after market 1L alloy swirl pot in the spare wheel well fed by a facet pump then use a sytec high pressure pump to feed the new ITB's.

3. rubjonny

yeah thats right, the swirl pot is inside the fuel tank, as in its part of the tank. its connected to the pipe on the side where the fuel pump goes.

in your case id fit bog std mk1 lift pump to the tank and feed your swirl pot with that, then run your feed pump after it. the late cab/scirocco/mk3 polo lifter pump will drop right into your fuel tank :)

edit: well actually what i would do is just put the high pressure pump under the car where the oem pump is now and leave it at that. seemed to work alright for you till now ;)

4. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

Its been running carbs for the last year or so ;) I did buy a new tank to replace the orginal as it rusted through but i bought another gti tank so im guessing it should still have the integral swirl pot?

I may use an intank lift pump tho as it will save me some 's [:D]:thumbup:

5. rubjonny

best to check, some of the cheap ass pattern tanks dont have it. look down the level sensor hole and you should see it in the bottom of the tank. if its not there then go for the lift pump + external swirl pot idea, then you dont need the in-tank swirl pot

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

bump from the dead..
    you had no lift pump in tank, just the float for fuel gauge yea with feed and return lines to the top, and under the car a single in line pump and you never experienced and fuel surge on cornering etc (especially on low fuel.. Is that right?

thanks

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You will get fuel surge at low level I did with the mk1
    How low are you speaking about

8. rubjonny

yup thats right, the tintop gti tank (should!) has an internal swirl pot that prevents this, though by now theres a chance that the rubber flaps have degraded. though i have to say i never ran it on a track, just around roundabouts and sweeping bends on the public roads!

for best surge protection I would say the later lift pump + external tank would be your best bet if you plan to take the car out on the track often. the issue there though is where do you put it, since its supposed to go where the mk1 accumulator sits. the later accumulator is a lot smaller and is moved behind the tank, though I dont know if it will fit with an early fuel tank?

9. Admin Guest

If you are going EFI an accumulator is not neesasary. I have run cars on MS without one, the ECU primes the pump before start up. If you go that way it could save you some room for the external tank.

10. rubjonny

yars this is true, still got to find somewhere for the filter to go too though! if only there was a bit more room next to the tank you could fit a mk2 pump which would make your life so much easier

11. Admin Guest

I fitted the filter in the engine bay.