Mk1 GTi for rallying

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Peter Scott, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Peter Scott New Member

I have joined because I am co-driving in the Rallye Monte Carlo Historique at the end of January 2023 in a Mk1 GTi and may want to ask some questions. The event is what is known as a regularity rally which entails accurately keeping to a relatively slow average speed which all sounds a bit boring but with almost continuous hairpin bends on many sections and snow and ice to contend with in a car from the seventies, much of the driving is close to flat out. Mk 1 Golfs have finished in the top 5 on numerous occasions over the years. Apart from the normal rally safety gear (roll cage, competition seats, full harness belts), the car is relatively standard though does have the usual battery of lights necessary from going quickly in darkness. For the event we will have a choice of either normal winter tyres or studded versions of the same tyre.

TonyB likes this.
  2. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Welcome sounds like fun.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Good luck, I have rallied a mk1 (and other VAG products) for years
    Jon

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome, loads of pictures please

5. MattRX New Member

That's exciting! Nice

6. daNpy Forum Member

Good luck, it's quite an amazing event to join I can imagine. The regularity rallies I used to compete in had an average speed of 30 kph and that's manageable, until you make a small mistake. You still have to drive the maximum allowed speeds to be able to make the time though.