Mk1 GTi won't start.

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by PMH169, Nov 16, 2017.

1. PMH169 Forum Member

Hi,

The car has had major rebuild after being used as a track car.
    Correct 1.6 engine now fitted
    Has had new fuel tank, pipes, fuel pump, fresh fuel, relays. fuse box, injectors and fuel distributor head has been checked out.
    Battery is new and good.
    Cam belt has been changed. Seems to be timed up ok
    When the crankshaft pulley mark os at 12 o'clock the mark on the inner side of the camshaft sprocket lines up
    with small plate on the cylinder head and the flywheel timing make seems to be in the correct place.
    The mark on the ancillary shaft (distributor drive) doesn't meet up with any other mark but I am advised that this is not crucial.
    Points and condenser have been changed and there is a good spark.
    Have removed and checked the fifth injector and when engine cranked it shows a good fuel supply.
    Have removed number one injector and when engine is cranked and fuel distributor head diaphragm lifted it shows a good fuel mist.
    Engine wont fire up.
    Looking at basic principles it must surely be either a fuel or ignition problem but cannot locate which.
    Fuel supply seems ok and spark is good.
    Have checked timing and that seems ok.
    At the moment the instrument cluster is away being checked.
    Any idea what I am missing here?

Thanks
    Any assistance greatly appreciated.

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Fuel + spark + timing. You seem to have covered fuel and timing but how have you checked for spark?

The most common issues I've had are -

ignition amplifier (TCI-H) fault - sometimes it will produce a spark but not a strong one.
    timing 180 degrees out

PMH169 likes this.
  3. PMH169 Forum Member

Hi,

Spark seems to be fine.
    Have checked to see if timing 180 degrees out.
    Took plugs out and checked compression strokes
    All ok.
    Thanks again

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah as long as the rotor arm in the dizzy is pointed at the mark on the dizzy casing when the cam is at TDC it doesnt matter where the intermediate shaft pulley is. Actually all that really matters is that plug lead #1 is where the rotor arm is pointed at TDC, and firing order 1342 clockwise. how do the plug tips look, wet with fuel?

compression check would be on my list. also check the voltage boost wire from starter pin 15a to the coil positive is in place if your wiring loom has the resistance type purple/white coil power wire from the fusebox

PMH169 likes this.
  5. PMH169 Forum Member

Thanks again
    Will take out plugs and check for signs of fuel
    Did a compression test. No idea when engine last ran properly but they come up at About 4.5bar
    One thing I have not checked. Because not sure of facts are the connections fron the fuel distributor head to the injectors.
    Do they need to be fitted in any particualar order.
    Saw a picture on utube where number one injector ran from the bottom left and then they ran anti-clockwise 2,3 with injector 4 from top left.
    The ones on mine are not in that order.
    Would that cause a problem?

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

PMH169 likes this.
  7. PMH169 Forum Member

Changed injector pipes as per your post
    I also checked the inlet manifold butterflies which seemed to be partially seized.
    Freed them up and at long last she fired up. Loads of smoke and sh** from the exhaust at first but ran ok.
    The engine had nut run for 2-3 years.
    Did not run it for long as no coolant.
    Many thanks for your post. Really helpful.

Do you happen to know how much movement should be in the diaphragm before the distributor head dispenses fuel to the injectors?
    Earlier when I was checking the fuel supply I removed number 1 injector and placed it in a jar. Turned the engine over and lifted the diaphragm.
    It was almost at the top of its movement before fuel appeared.
    When I went back to the car today after it was cold it started first time but only ran for about 5 seconds on the 5th injector then cut out.
    The main injectors don't seem to cut in and I wondered if it was a matter of adjustment
    Thanks again for your earlier post.

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

All injectors flow at the same time on k jet. The k stands for konstant / constant.
    You don't need to spin the engine over, just bridge the fuel pump relay so that the pump stays pumping constantly, to check. The injectors should be flowing fuel through all the travel of the plate in the metering head.

PMH169 likes this.
  9. PMH169 Forum Member

Just a line to say thanks again for your assistance
    Engine now up and running
    Have no idea when last run but was some years ago.
    Loads of - I think the polite word is detritus - out of the exhaust, uneven running but put some coolant in and ran it for ten minutes or so and
    is now a lot better.
    Tick over is far too fast but that is a minor problem

Thanks again

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

Good to hear ...

Mine is due to start soon after ten years idle !