mk1 hiding servo

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by rpatten, Mar 21, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Do you have any more original applications Dave? I baven't really started looking properly but I have a single line Lockheed in mine on the fronts only & could do with making it dual circuit.

I've only seen one so far on the classic car market.

2. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Lots of RHD 1970s cars had them. BMW 2002, 1602, 2500, 3.0 CSL, etc. mid 70s to early 80s. I was really keen on BMWs in those days, would have almost killed for a 2002 Tii, but way beyond my price range. IIRC: MGB. Aston. Jag.
    Quite often two servos. One to front + one to rear.
    The ones I remember had a single outlet on the nose with a "Y" connector, one pipe to each front brake. Same for the rears.
    Not sure of manufacturers. Bendix were big in those days. Certainly AP/Lockheed. Certainly Girling/Dunlop. Only passing interest for me, as I was still pushing two stroke Saabs around. No servos possible. Funny thing is. My Saab Sport had 280mm front discs, Dunlop alloy two piston calipers, with 250mm rear drums. Never thought the brakes were hard work! Especially compared with un-servoed Mk1s and Polos I later owned.
    Might it not be to some advantage with un-servoed rears on a FWD car? Balance adjustment?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks, that's a starting point for some Googling.

This is what's fitted to mine - standard Lockheed item, 1.9 ratio I believe:

[​IMG]

As the brakes are wound to the rear on the pedal box, the fronts become progressively harder work. It's really noticeable, hence the search for a dual circuit solution. I'd sooner avoid fitting 2 units. Anyway, the servo ratio needs to be upped.

4. Dave

Chris,
    you have got me interested now!
    I am going to do some googling and beat you to it?
    I remember there were some 3.0 to 1 units.
    Alfa also used remote servos in the GTA? Which is a car I covet more than a 2002 Tii. An Italian brand I think.
    Not sure about ATE though.
    I have the Porsche Excellence Book, all 220 (Xmas present from my daughter) of it. I'll see what they were doing.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. Dave

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Looks worth a call :thumbup:

I'd also look at some of the classics market though - this doesn't tend to get reinvented.

7. Dave

Quite true, but, they may ahve a servo with dual circuits? Most of the old ones were single circuit with a "Y" connector!

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A t-piece is neither here no there though - the dual circuit hardware is all I'm after.

9. Dave

Sorry Chris, what I was getting at was, a remote servo with a dual circuit master cylinder fitted to it may be available from them!

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, certainly sounds so.

11. Dave

Sod the dinner Dave - remote servos, where were we?
    http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_other.html
    Hope you realise that I've been up since 4.00am searching for this link?
    Tell the truth Chris. Not too sure how these work? Sort of needs two floating pistons + a second actuator push rod, loose, inside the slave cylinder. But, talk to the guy, should be interesting! Could design such a thing for you! Couple of grand, say?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Can I have two, by a week Friday? !!

Cheers for the link - I had seen it somewhere before & can see this one being tried. It looks pretty ugly, but then again I don't think that's the point! There's a bit of classic car scene tax in the pricing also - I wonder what it's actually off?

13. Hilux Forum Member

I found this from a few years ago when I was playing with different cars......................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Hilux Forum Member

15. Dave

16. rpatten Forum Member

The above diagram looks pretty much like what I was suggesting to build in the first place.
    you get a 16v servo and master cylinder (which I already have and we all know that works and is dual outlet), mount them in the car say under the dash.
    You then buy a universal girling master cylinder and clutch slave from say merlin motor sport, knock up a bracket that'l connect the slave to the push rod of the 16v servo and mount the girling master cylinder to the brake pedal and join the two with a braided hose that merlin also makes.
    essentialy the same as the above remote servo, granted slightly more work.
    My only concern is would the clutch slave hold out against the full pressure of heavy breakin or emmergency stops?????

Haven't been able to find any audi 80s down the scap yard or any for sale near by to test drive, but my word the Audi quattro S2 coupes and estates are holding there money, still 5grand for a good one!!!! I brought my 2000 S3 for that!

17. Dave

Check this link:
    http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/Brake servo working note 190109.pdf

You will see that single outlet servos have one floating piston, and one operating rod.
    For a dual circuit system, you need two floating pistons, and two rods!

I can design a system if you pay me €2000.

This is the offer I made to "He who must be obeyed"!

And, I have not heard anything since?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  18. rpatten Forum Member

do they do a remote servo with the same ratio as the mk2 16v servo?

19. Dave

What bis the ratio of the Mk2 16v servo?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  20. danster Forum Addict

Servos are for...........walk away danster, its not worth it.