MK1 jacking points

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by ukjules, Apr 26, 2017.

1. ukjules Paid Member Paid Member

The front jacking points are obvious with the two protrusions behind the front wheels.

I however need to drop the rear axle and thus need to jack somewhere on the frame ?
    (i usually jack on the axle)

How do i secure the car so i can get the rear axle out ?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Those protrusions aren't actually jacking points iirc. Mk1 jacking points are the bottom folded vertical edge of the sills.

The protrusions are for jig points as I recall.

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye that's right Tristan it's what they hang the shell on in the factory during assembly

LeLapin likes this.
  4. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Although they get used for jacking, as the sill is nearly always folded over from previous jacking, and the little box sections have been squashed by mot testers.

5. ukjules Paid Member Paid Member

I still dont know where the jacking points are ?
    I dont even know what the original jack looks like so dont know what , where it fits ?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

here you go:
    [​IMG]

VW obviously learnt from the mk1 and made the dimples jacking points on the MK2 :lol:

7. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Just forward of the rear axle mounts is a strengthened area for placing axle stands - easy to spot as there as a hole in the middle of it.

If the axle stands go straight through the chassis when you drop the jack you'll know if you have a rust issue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. ukjules Paid Member Paid Member

With the picture of the rear one i should be able to find it ! I am still not sure until i look.

the front one again i cant be sure.
    I as you say can jack on those round protrusions that are not meant for jacking and the real
    one is on the sill.
    I cant see how jacking on the sill cannot flatten it ?

I am not usually so slow ! but with mechanics one needs to be sure and i still am not.
    any other car it is obvious ....

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the front one is between the wheel well and the dimple, probably motre obvious when you look. the sills can only be jacked on with the include widow maker jack at the arrowed points, as it has a U shape profile to clear the lip. if you were to make up a similar shape insert for your jack/stands then you can use the sills

10. ukjules Paid Member Paid Member

you see this car has not been used since 1997.
    I dont have a jack , cant remeber what it wss like or where it went.

I now can only jack with a trolley jack or one of those concertina ones.

Thus i stiul cant remoive the rear axle as that is the only place i can jack on at the rear with the jacks i have.,

I almost despair how hard this is has to be !
    The diagrams and pictures simply are not clear enough . I need to see ajack in the position , type of jack.

it is not so urgent as i can inspect the tank in situ first but i still need to know where to jack

11. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Lift the rear using the trolley jack on the beam and then place axle stands where I told you. What's so difficult?

If you want to jack up the front put a block of wood between the jack and body - that'll help prevent damage to the sill. Then axle stands under the wishbone rear pivot mount.

12. ukjules Paid Member Paid Member

Ok understood -today i was strippng the inside out to check the tank from inside and see what rust there is.
    it might be that i need a donor shell .....

Ill look at jacking tomorrow and link some pics of the squashed sill ridges i have to deal with !
    thanks for info !

13. LeLapin New Member

My solution was to weld in 1 1/4" square tube. Really must recommend.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk