Mk1 Jetta?!

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by G-Man, Mar 12, 2006.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Was just driving along when a 'y' reg mk1 jetta drove past! Never seen these in my life! Did they ever make a GTI version, looked like it could be made into an awesome retro car! [8D]

2. ManicGTI Forum Member

Don't think they made GTIs....

A mate of infinity (owners name escapes me, prob posts on here anyway...) has one that goes to ACE cafe meets, I believe has a GTI lump....[8D]

Edited by: ManicGTI

3. Jettin' Forum Member

No GTI's, they were called GLi's and were only made for a couple of years. The 1.5 carb engine was the most powerful then till the mk2 and all GLi's only had the 1.6 engine.

I got one a while ago, see sig, that I am currently putting a 16v into at the minute.

4. ManicGTI Forum Member

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It belongs to Insane Singh. LHD 2 door model - European import. I don't think it was a GLi, but certainly has a GTI engine now.

Rare cars. Basically a 110bhp 1.6 Mk1 Golf GTI, without the GTI bolstered seats. When I have seen them, they've generally had V and W registrations. Think they may have been sold for longer on the continent. They ran the 5.5J 13 alloy (early GTI / some Cabrios).

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I met a chap at combe last year that had a green mk1 jetta with a 200+ 18 t lump :lol:

Stripped out too!

was super [8D]

7. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

there was a guy i knew once - bit posh like - had a dark red mk1 jetta that he claimed had some kind of super dooper 16v engine in it

kept coming up with stories about howfast.com, bedford autodrome and all sorts

Obviously i think it was an 1100 with a loud exhaust but he fooled loads of people with his fairy tale engine spec

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yeah, think I met him once Dex. Formel E as well, I think, to make matters worse. We slapped him in the ego pen along with all the other 'power' gob5hites in the end.

:lol:

9. DEX

aye - i think he had a one way ticket to the ego pen.

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

i think the one u might of seen could of been luke and some of the lads from cardiffs 20v jetta [:D]

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

The one i saw DEFFO did not have a 20v lump in it! It was a blue one with a pair of OAP's and more rust on it than a Rover Metro!

12. was8v Forum Member

theres a mint maroon one round here that some old duffer drives round. must polish it every day - reckon i'll make an offer if i see it parked up.

reckon a valver engine would make a good sleeper [8D] though 145 profile tyres might not work too well

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Did you see my old Jetta sleeper?

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

15. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

there's a silver one in barry too

and a nice red one in cardiff by asda's i've seen a few times

16. DEX

that looks just like the car owned by the bloke i met who was always going on about ferrari beating

Lucky the Ego Pen is so far from me i can't hear his ranting anymore...

Last i heard was something about a mk1 - but i think he was high on thinners fumes at the time
    Edited by: dexteruk

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yeah, the ego pen moves around a bit, last seen in Staffordshire back in July.

He's been talking about building a Mk1 for years, but he was all talk, into baseball caps and stainless steel (stereo?) systems etc - I don't believe a word of it [:|]

18. hairnet600 Forum Member

i bought this this after noon 1.5 auto 77k miles

[​IMG]

gti steels or 15 steels and some nice springs - and a stereo [:D]

nice to be in here again lol

19. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

are you referring to yourself here? or have i missed something??

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep - sorry, collectively taking the mick out of myself with Dex