Mk1 not starting...

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Feb 20, 2011.

1. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I thought I'd start my golf up, as she's off the road at the moment. It started then spluttered on revs & stalled. I got it going a few more times with the same splutter & stall. Then my battery went & it wouldn't even turn over, but all the dash lights were on, so I'm guessing I've emptied the battery, but can anyone advise me on what the stalling problem could be? The last time I started it it started first time? The banjo bolt I was after for the back of the metering head; I found at VW for 1.91 & it had smaller holes than the original bolts? This is the only change I've made in a while & it has started before with it, I just can't figure it out :(

2. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

33 views & not one reply? [8-}]

3. Admin Guest

you put it back together properly? how much had you removed off the engine before you took it apart to take it out?

timing ok? injection spray ok? spark clean and on all plugs?

4. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I removed all the wires, pipes, battery, air box, basically everything except unbolting the engine & gearbox mounts. I marked every pipe up, every ht lead, everything. Ive had it running since I did that though? :( the only new part was that banjo bolt? My nephew thought the hole difference may be a problem, or whether the hole lines up? I didn't check against an old bolt as I'd put them in ready for the new bolt. The guy at VW gave me a part sheet with pictures of the auxilliary air valve/injectors/metering head/fuel distributor & all the bolt/spacer part numbers, & it's an 'ETKA' sheet for a 1978 (whether this is 1978 onwards I don't know) I'll post a pic of the sheet

5. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

6. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

The guy at VW drew on it by the way:lol: I wouldn't mind having a full book of these sheets on every aspect of the car, are these readily available?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

etka is what you need :thumbup:

8. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I just searched ETKA & couldn't get anything for my iPod, found a site called wagenstad.com, it looks similar & I can view it on my iPod, plus it has the part numbers? Not sure if it's as good as ETKA though

9. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

It wouldn't keep running, I had to give it some gas & it'd fire up then splutter at about 2000revs when trying to keep it running, & spray carb cleaner onto the....? It's a f/Inj if that helps? 1588cc GTi engine

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

ETKA is the parts database for VW cars. Available for PC.

11. retrowhore Forum Member

I have the same problem with my K-Jet Mk1. I have fuel to the metering head so i am going to try this injector test, clean the lpugs and check the timing out. Thanks for the advice.

12. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

What is the normal spray pattern? & should a certain amount come out? & are the 4 injectors the same spray pattern/same quantity of fuel?

13. Admin Guest

you'll see it when you have it in your hand.

normal/good is a nice fine mist

bad is a dribble/heavy spots

Had a iffy injector once and ran horrible and flat through the rev range.

14. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Thanks Jon, I'll get the battery charged & check the injectors, do you think this could be the cause for it struggling to stay running, then spluttering & stalling when trying to rev to keep it running?

15. nealey Forum Junkie

Are all the pipes on correctly and in the right place? Im thinking possibly you have a major air leak. When I missed a pipe on the air intake of the 16v I used to have it wouldn.t idle and you had to rev it to keep it running and it spluttered a lot.

16. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

17. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

This sounds like the same problem, I'll double check all the pipes etc, by air leak do you think it's a split pipe or maybe coming from somewhere else? & which of the pipes can get air leaks?

18. nealey Forum Junkie

Possibly a split pipe or its just not on properly. I'm not really familiar with the mk1 setup but on my mk2 it was a pipe near the airbox that had come off but it was underneath and near to the wing so I didn't notice it untill I looked at a certain angle as it was only half on