Mk1 renovation Engine/exhaust/lowering

Discussion in 'Engines' started by stu_in_scot, Apr 30, 2019.

1. stu_in_scot New Member

Hi there looking for some advice on the above!
    I see a lot of comparisons each individual situation seams to be different so I thought I’d just add mine to the mix!

Looking at my MK1 going for a full rework up here in Scotland.
    Respray, engine build and some small upgrades here’s and there.

Looking to use the car on the road and want to drive it, no constant tinkering, replacing parts, just enjoy it and have some power when you feel the need!

I also want to be relatively inconspicuous, don’t want undue attention and hassle from the 5.0!

So the great debate....
    8v 2.0 on Webber 40s with crossflow head
    Or
    16v 2.0 on Webber 45s

Other options?

Disc brake upgrades all round or not?

Exhaust ideas? Not too loud, just a nice rumble is what I’d like

Lowering options? Coil overs? Or not? Again don’t want to plan my routes to miss potholes or speed bumps but just enough to give the car that slighter fatter meaner look?

Complete novice here so some laymen’s terminology would be great!
    I’m open all ears! Thanks again in advance!

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The simpler the better.
    I vote for a 2.0 8v, on kjet, so it still looks stockish, with a cam, lightweight flywheel, and a decent exhausted.
    Some b8 Bilsteins with Eibach sportline lowering springs, mk2 gti rear brakes (though oe mk1 drums are plenty good enough tbh), and Opel / Vaux Vectra front calipers on 256mm mk2 16v discs.
    14s still fit on, so you can run a tyre with decent profile, mk1s get nasty on really low profile tyres on back roads.

It'll all fit in with minimal effort, relatively speaking, and a mk1 doesn't need huge power to be fun on the public roads. Also your gearbox won't be overwhelmed.

If you really feel you need more power, stick in an ABF.

3. bonus85 Forum Member

'no constant tinkering' don't get carbs then, they require regular tuning, on a rolling road, by a genius. Plus they are fairly raw to drive.

If you don't mind turbos, pick up a donor 1.8t mk4 - probably the cheapest, easiest setup using the mk4 gearbox and cable shift and hydraulic box will give u a lovely drive and power when u feel like it. Its a lot of change for the car, and its pretty common, but the end result will make it very nice.

ABF is probably the best bang out there, but try finding a low mileage one, and in reality its getting old - along with all the kjet stuff. I like to swap for things as modern as possible so parts are easy to find.

But for simplicity - maybe an 8v crossflow from a mk3.5 convertible. golden rule - ALWAYS GET A DONOR CAR! dont buy that lonely block off ebay for 500 quid.