MK1 Reproduction Chrome Bumper Project

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Retro Specification, May 5, 2014.

1. Retro Specification New Member

I have an idea that I think is good, but first want to bounce it off you good people.

I've owned a number of MK1 and MK2 Golfs over the years and have always tinkered with them. As you know, it can be really time consuming to source parts. You can spend months waiting for something to come up for sale in the right condition and it's likely to be expensive.

One of the items that I REALLY wanted, but couldn't find, or afford was the classic Chrome MK1 Front and Rear Bumper. I do a lot of work with VW in the UK and got the opportunity to visit their factory in Hanover to look at the VW Transporter being made. During the trip we visited the Old Timer museum and I got to see a set of original chrome bumpers up front.

Looking at them with my Engineering hat on, they didn't look that tough to replicate. I even thought I could make some subtle improvements. So long story short, I've been toying with some designs in CAD and I'm close to having them complete.

I'm really interested in your thoughts. If I can get some support I'll make a thread and document progress and the design/prototyping process. It might be interesting to see.