Mk1 shell

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by DavMk2, Oct 20, 2014.

1. DavMk2 Forum Member

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me if the shell off a cab is the same as a tin top. Obviously the roof part is different, but I don't need that part. Basically I need to know if the front end is the same, and the floor up to the back seat part. Also the part at the bottom of windscreen.
    * Are the wings the same as well. *
    Need some body shell and been offered cab shell to cut up at decent price. So can keep it all Vw and not repo parts.
    Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a pillars forward they're the same, the scuttle part will work but iirc they will have proper RHD wipers after a certain point? the floorpans similar but the post-84 differ around the tank/boot floor area plus the sills are much beefier to stiffen it so those wont be much use. wings basically same for all mk1, but there are side repeater holes on the later cabs plus holes for the bumper brackets which those with metal bumpers wont have. nothing you cant deal with if you're going to be doing all this cutting and welding ;)

the slam panel does differ on the later ones for the grille fixings, VW used to supply a fitting kit but NLA now as the cab panel replaced all the allier versions. really early slam panels differ around the tow eye but if you're usign all the front parts no big deal swap as required.

rear chassis legs all same under and quarters plus inner arches close enough to use for repair panels, just the cab has more tinware welded inside the boot which can be taken out, the parcel shelf supports are metal and welded plus more frames inside the boot either side and the big beeft bar between the turrets but once removed the inner arch tubs and that still same up to where the obvious differences come in with the hood and such

DavMk2 likes this.
  3. DavMk2 Forum Member

Hi rubjonny, thanks. Basically I think I need the front end, prob including some of the inner wings and strut tops. Front scuttle under windscreen. Both sides of floor, about 3/4 of the way from the front.
    Need rear quarter under back window as well, but I take it this would be different on the cab. Will try to find out what year it is

4. DavMk2 Forum Member

Hi rubjonny, thanks. Basically I think I need the front end, prob including some of the inner wings and strut tops. Front scuttle under windscreen. Both sides of floor, about 3/4 of the way from the front.
    Need rear quarter under back window as well, but I take it this would be different on the cab. Will try to find out what year it is

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

they are the same but cabriolet has strengthening on the inner wings and under the dash i think

6. DavMk2 Forum Member

Sounds like I maybe ok with it then. Just the front grill section may need looking at. I know need the inside floor sections as it has gone under the front seats. Would the bulkhead be the same too?

7. rubjonny

yeah bulkhead and inner wings plus scuttle will work, as above there may be extra strengthening but you can either drill out the spot welds to remove or just keep it in

rear quarter panels it depends how hight you need the repair sections from i beleive the quarter is pretty similar apart from it stops abruptly :lol:

you can fit rtintop waistline strips straight on a cab so they cant be that much different up to there at least!

DavMk2 likes this.
  8. MUSHY 16V

what age is your mk1

9. MUSHY 16V

i'd keep the strengthening on the inner wings

DavMk2 likes this.
  10. rubjonny

fo sho, but it depends how much of them needs cutting in. tbh id take the strengthening panels out and swap em in regardless! or sell on to some track slags ;)

11. DavMk2 Forum Member

It's an 83 gti, just found out the shell I can get is 83/84 too. He says for extra 20 I can take full shell with fuel tank and rear beam still on it.
    Does 100 for shell, with tank and beam sound ok?

12. MUSHY 16V

aye worth a punt at a 100

DavMk2 likes this.
  13. DavMk2 Forum Member

I need it right up to rear window, basically the lip that holds bottom of window has gone, in and out so don't think it will be on the cab shell

14. rubjonny

well worst case you can still chop it up for genuine VW steel to make your own patches :thumbup:

if its a GTI cab it'll have the lifter pump and swirl pot which are handy to have or sell, plus the main pump and accumulator will work. otherwise the beam at least will be good for spares/sell as its the same as a tintop one. filler neck if post-84 is a different shape but may be adaptible, though iirc its the pre-83 ones which are easy to get hold of so may as well just buy the right one if you need.

15. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

As long as it's an A plate then the spare wheel well/tank/single pump arrangement will be the same as yours.

16. DavMk2 Forum Member

I think it is a y plate, but to be honest he wasn't too sure himself

17. DavMk2 Forum Member

I'm not sure he will be leaving the main pump and accumulator on, I'll have to check with him.
    Gotta try to make some space for it, unless the mark 2 can be moved, it may have to be put in my front garden, neighbours will love thatlol

18. mr.brown

Sorry, I should have been clearer - anything up to an A reg will be the same as your tin top. August 84 is when the changes occurred so a B plate would have larger fuel tank, space-saver spare wheel well & the lift pump/reservoir mess.

DavMk2 likes this.
  19. DavMk2 Forum Member

Ok thanks, so I should be able to use quite a lot of it now then.

20. mr.brown

If you haven't already, it's worthwhile registering at vagcat.com - you can then access and compare the parts diagrams for the tintop and cabriolet - quick example of the 83 cab (left) + tintop (right) floor pans below

[​IMG]