Mk1 speaker upgrade.....

Discussion in 'ICE' started by *Alex*, Apr 20, 2008.

1. *Alex* New Member

Right, im after some door speakers and some rear speakers and an amp to run everything. My current headunit is fine and i've got a CD changer in the glove box. I've got around 200-300 squid to spend on the speakers and the amp - so can any recommend a good little system please? :)

Not really interested in subs or anything - too heavy!

Will i need a door speaker pod type thing in the front doors?

Thanks in advance ;)

2. rick8v New Member

for a properly decent sound you will need to buy some pods to fit 6.5" components in, i've got a mk1 golf and i found that a decent set of standard size 6x4 speakers cost just as much as a decent component set, but sound nowhere near as good!

i've fitted a similar set up in a friends mk3 vr6 and it sounds really nice and was cheap

front door components: http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/View...Clearence+Price&CAT_CODE=1003&SUBCAT_CODE=190

rear bass speakers (8 inch if you can find enough space):
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-sd81-p-5519.html

if you can't fit 8 inch speakers, they do a 6.5 inch:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-sd61-p-5520.html

amplifier, either this: http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/View...iable+Bass+boost.+&CAT_CODE=22&SUBCAT_CODE=85

or this: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-s2604-p-5530.html

the above would make a very good simple system, and you would be surpised how much bass the spl dynamics speakers make....and more importantly they are lightweight!

hope this helps

3. *Alex* New Member

Thanks......the front door speakers you posted a link to, look a bit cheap IMO. Surely the front door speakers are the most important part?

Anyway thanks for your help dude ;)

4. rick8v New Member

its just that the picture is crap lol! precision power make good stuff for the money, but obvioulsy they aren't going to be the best component speakers.

you will probably need speakers with alot of mid-bass because you aren't going to be using a sub, the xmax (total travel of the speakers cone) will tell u that...as a general rule of thumb, the higher the xmax, the more midbass it will produce, all decent speakers will have the xmax listed in its specs.

the front speakers are the most important, and DLS make very nice ones, very musical and the highs are just right, i should think you could probably get some within your budget. i'm using CDT eurosports in my mk1 and they are amazing, but they were also very expensive...even though i got them at a trade price.

whichever way you decide to go, buy your amplifier first, and then buy the rest of the bits around that, because it is important that the amp has headroom 50% normally, so if the amp has an output of say 4 x 100 watts rms, then you would need speakers rated at 50 watts rms, then all you do is turn the gain on the amp halfway up...this keeps the amp nice and clean sounding

if you need anymore help just give me a shout

5. DragonGTi New Member

Have a look here www.audioethos.co.uk mostly older stuff but the quality is a lot higher than a nything of a similar price that is current,he has some Boston Acoustics Components for about 50 that will see off most sets coating 3 times as much

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've got a set of Phinoex Gold 4x6" 2 way, rated 50/60 WRMS , very good to say the least!

had to wait couple weeks for it come into the country, main reason i went that way cos i couldn't bring myself to hack my trims from stock gti

7. *Alex* New Member

Cheers for the help Rick.

So will i need door pods for the front speakers (i think a company called audioscape make them for the MK1)?

8. *Alex* New Member

Crispy 8v - will these fit straight into the rears then?

9. rick8v New Member

yeh audioethos is based in the same place as me, i've never bought anything from him but its always good stuff he's selling! boston acoustics speakers are also really nice, i listened to a few sets before i went for the cdt's, i wanted some bostons originally but couldn't afford them lol

its worth taking a look at the morel speakers he's got on there at the moment, they are a bit more cash and are 2-ways instead of components, but i dare say they would be alot more musical than the bostons, and will create more bass for sure....depends what music you listen to

yeh you will need some door pods to fit the speakers, i got a mate to make some 'cus i hate spending lol!

if i remember correctly, i think the rears on a mk1 are just 4 inch round speakers....altho i could be rong as my car had no speakers in at all and was butchered around the speaker area!

are you looking for much bass or just something that is balanced and musical?

10. *Alex* New Member

Well balanced and musical with some bass i guess.....

Thanks for the PM, i think im gonna fit a 9A bottom end on my KR in the next few weeks, so funds are tight - might have to put the speaker situation on hold for a while.....

Thanks for all the info though :)

11. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Yes, I have mine fitted in the fronts.